Best fence choice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
Best fence choice

Hopefully it will continue to not rain today and the guy is going to come dig the holes for the fence. We only need to fence in one side of the yard since the rest is fenced with the neighbors, but it has been raining and we have had to reschedule 3 times!!

If he comes, we can start and finish by this weekend. We only have 10 feet (and a gate) on 1 side and 18 feet on the other...7 posts total.

In the back of our house, there are steps to go up to the deck, we have to have the pickets taller there since it would not take much time for Mandi to figure out to climb a few steps and then jump over the fence. My question is this....in your opinions should we make the pickets on the other side all the same height (so that they get lower as the yard gets lower as seen in diagram 1) or should they get taller as the yard gets lower so they are all AT the same height at the top (as seen in diagram 2).

It is all about what looks better at this point, the ground is not so slanted that Mandi could stand on the higher ground and jump over the fence on the lower ground any easier than just jumping it anywhere else.

Opinions?

[img][/img]

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Best fence choice

OH, GAWD.... I've been dealing with the whole fence thing now for 2 weeks!! I am going to be putting in 1350 feet of fence in the next couple of weeks. You know how many holes that is??? I've decided that it will be <u>good for me</u> to dig the holes myself with the help of one of our Hispanic workers that I am borrowing from work.

He'll probably quit halfway thru and I'll end up doing it all myself!!!

Why are you paying someone to dig 7 holes and such a short fence???

oh crap, that is 1350' PLUS 250' of fence for the dogs!!! OMG, I keep forgeting to count that!!!!

TAMMY
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, and I would run electric along the top and they won't jump up on it.

TAMMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

The back and sides of our yard meets up with our neighbors on either side and behind us and they all have fences already so 3/4 of our yard is already fenced in. We just need to finish from our house to the neighbors on either side. We considered digging the holes ourselves (post hole digger $25) or renting a hydraulic post hole digger ($90 for 4 hours) but then one guy I called to check the price on renting the post hole digger said he'd just come and do it for $80 for the 7 holes. It will take 15 minutes so it is worth it to me!! He lives just down the street so he is just going to do it on hiw ay home with his little cat machine or something...I'm not really sure...all I know is there are suppose to be 7 8inch round holes in my yard today when I get home.

1350 feet of fence?!! Digging it yourself?! Are you insane? I'd make it through about 3 of them before I gave up or had a heart attack. LoL.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

$80 isn't bad... worth it I suppose but you don't have any post hole diggers? Everyone should own some, LOL they come in handy from time to time.

Yea, I dug 6 holes last weekend for my grapevines and it took me about half an hour to dig them and set the posts. I figure that I can dig 50 holes in 2 days and the helper can dig 80 or so. Just wish it wasn't 90+ degrees outside, that makes it a lot more difficult!

TAMMY
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

My fence on my driveway looks like your first diagram. I hate it. It's ugly. I didn't think how ugly it would be before it was installed that way.

The dogs could jump it if the fur tree hadn't grown too fall. When Morgan was young and the fur was quite a few feet shorter that it is now, I was out in my front yard. Heard her barking & turned to see her run full blast out of the back yard, full blast by the house and fly over that fence where it angles down.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

I prefer the first diagram.

Fencing is such fun. We just privacy fenced our yard in the new house and added a dog run. Cost us $6000. Still better than doing it ourselves. It was a 4 day job. We too met with rain delays. They came and finished it on a Sunday as we had the dogs coming out of the kennel on Monday afternoon. It was supposed to have been done 5 days earlier but it rained so much there was no way for the posts to set up in the concrete.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Hmm, tricky one. I guess I'd have to see a real pic of the yard and the fencing material.

Every day I think to myself, our fence is the best $300 I've ever spent! We fenced in over 2600 sq ft. but just used cattle fencing. So cheap, was done in about an hour, and doesn't block any view. I even made three gates, each a different width. It doesn't look very nice but the point was that it's not permanent. If we ever move I'd definitely do it again while saving for a privacy fence!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page