Wildlife rehab help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wildlife rehab help!

Last night at dusk, my DH found a baby possum in our pond skimmer. He was still alive, cold and exhausted. I called DNR and got a couple of #s for rehabbers, only one returned my call and she is full. He has fur, small teeth and is about 4" long. I was told to give him pedialite(they lap/dont suck) and moist(canned) cat or dog food. Cannot get this guy to eat or drink. We put him in a bird cage on a heating pad, but this is frustrating. Should I let him go, is he old enough to fend for himself? If he isn't eating for us, I wonder if he can do it on his own(its gonna get cold tonight 40-50's) I think he fell from a tree above the pond, and was hanging on for dear life in the skimmer net. Appreciate any help! I use to rehab birds, but left the animals to others(not enough rehabbers!)

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Banned

Re: Wildlife rehab help!

Jane email this person

[email protected] or call 517-546-0249, they are open on sat and sun also, they might be able to give you some answers. They are in howell by me, but see if they can take the possum I can do a possum transport.LOL!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hah, possum transport! I wish there were more rehabbers around, I know it is a burn out job-but only 3#'s and 1 reply. Thanks for the info. Maybe he'll eat at dark(nocturnal) and will start mending.
I am looking into the pm you sent me. One guy in my Sch. club lives near there, I think, I'll ask him tomorrow if he goes, otherwise, I don't know of anyone to TT.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Knighted Member

You can always try syringe feeding...but wear leather gloves their little teeth are sharp! Good luck finding someone to rehab the baby. We had a pet coon once, he was only 5 days old when he was found. My neighbor did a oppossum baby....but its too late to talk to her for suggestions.

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I am using a pipette to give him pedialyte, but he isn't taking it in like I'd expect. I use to breed birds and have experience tube feeding, but don't want to do this, he may have some fluid in his lungs already from hanging on so long in the pond. His breathing sounds clear though. I have rehabbed all sorts of birds, but not the furry's.
Keeping him warm right now is all I can do, and his teeth are small, he hisses but isn't biting-yet. When he feels better, I am sure he'll start clamping down! Very cute for an animal that most consider a nuisence. He'll probably come back and kill our chickens after we set him free! My grandma use to rehab all the baby/sick animals everyone in the neighborhood found, she had a natural instinct to fix them all. I need to channel her techniques...
Coons stink from what I remember, could have been the dog food she fed them(horsemeat back then!) Not one return call from the DNR referrals Should I bug them tomorrow?

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:52 AM
Knighted Member

I thought of syringe feeding too - I did wildlife rehab with the vet I worked for and we often had to syringe-feed (at least initially). I would also continue to bug the rehab people. Even if they can't take the little critter, they should be able to give you some advice.

Keeping him warm and dry tonight will hopefully help, and maybe tomorrow he'll eat (well, it's probably tomorrow when you read this anyhow, here in Alaska we're four hours earlier than you are .. *L*). Good luck with him! We don't have opossums here but I helped raise squirrels and a muskrat.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

He ate the wet cat food this am! I went to check him, thought he died, was laying there w/eyes open and stiff. Felt cold. I covered him with the towel and told my son. He went to ck him and said he was fine~ Just playing dead. I went up a few minutes ago, and his belly is full and the cat food was gone! I hope to release him this weekend. It is so cold at night though. They are so slow to move so its hard to tell if they are weak or just so afraid. At least he ate something-great sign. Yes, I am going to make calls again, hopefully someone will actually answer.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Banned

Jane was he playing possum? Thanks for giving him a chance.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Knighted Member

Glad to hear he ate! Poor little guy - he was lucky you found him when you did. Hope he does okay and can be released soon.

Melanie and the gang
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Saving teeny abandoned opossum HELP

You need a syringe or eye dropper for the milk. They are NOT going to lap.

Good specific info on http://www.geocities.com/crawdadcree...nedPossum.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page