Any Hair Stylists or experienced hair dyers here? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Any Hair Stylists or experienced hair dyers here?

I did the big oops. I have turned my dark blonde hair YELLOW! I mean like a block of gold YELLOW. I used boxed dye. I know....I should know better by now. I tried this last summer and wound up yellow. Had it redyed by a stylist back to dark blonde. But I got a wild hair today and decided it was hot out....I wanted to be lighter blonde. So I bought a light ashe blonde shade. My stylist told me last time to stick to "ashe" shades to reduce the gold/brassy look. Well....it didnt work! My hair has gotten alot more red undertones the past few years so the colors I used to use....and get the results I wanted....are now turning my hair YELLOW!

Can I fix it? How long do I need to wait to redye it? Do I dare try another boxed dye in a darker shade.....or go strait to the hair salon?

At least is not as yellow as it was last time.

My problem is my natural blonde does turn very brassy despite using blonde shampoos that should help it. So I get disgusted with it and dye it. And it rarely works! Maybe I need to be looking at other colors like brown or something. Its hard to let go and admit that as I get older....my blonde is getting darker and darker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Any Hair Stylists or experienced hair dyers here?

You can try a toner. Places like Sally's Beauty Supply will have them. They come as stuff you leave on for a while like dye and then rinse out and you can also get toning shampoo. In both cases they're purple and the purple helps neutralize the yellow to make it less brassy and more neutral blond.

I have the same problem. I don't dye my hair currently and naturally it doesn't look even remotely red but it has a major red undertone that is revealed if I try to lighten it or get highlights. They never turn out like the nice neutral blond I picked, so I've learned that if i do it, I've got to buy something ashy and know that on me that will actually turn out neutral.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

If you don't end up finding a hair stylist on the board PM me and I'll send the info on to my sister... she currently attends The Paul Mitchell School in Santa Barbara and knows her stuff. I could ask her for you.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

I bought some purple mousse by John Freida a few months ago and I love it. I can use as much as I want, like literally soak my hair in the purple stuff and my hair doesn't get greasy. The best part is that it straightens better because it holds as good as hairspray.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ear/060d_1.jpg

You should probably go to a stylist, the chemicals in box dyes are way worse for your hair than the stuff the stylists use. I've had my hair dyed twice in a row when the color didn't match the hair extensions I used to have a few years ago, but that was by a stylist.

You can always try giving into the brassiness and go for strawberry blonde.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I have dug my idiot hole a little deeper

I ran to the drugstore and bought a box of Natural Instincts wash out color that lasts 28 days. I got a light ashe brown shade. And used it. And while its not my desired color now....it is way better than YELLOW! It is now kind of a brassy, strawberry blonde. I'll let it be a few weeks and then go get it colored by my stylist to match my root color...or try the strawberry blonde route. I still threaten my husband to shave it all one day and wear a wig till it grows back!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like you are not leaving your color on long enough, let it do its job. If you have been picking ash colors both times it should not turn warm. Being a hairdresser. Pick your level of color a couple of shades lighter than your natural and put an ash of that level on it. Leave it on 45 min. You should be fine then. But of course not today as your scalp is probably tender. Wait a few days now then try it. Lots of luck! Next time leave it to a hairdresser. LOL

Human owner to:
Prinz-Gsd -RIP 8/3/12 Never long enough....
Ava-Rescue
Echo-Rescue GSD/Husky
Barnaby-Holland Lop

Maureen

White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

I went by the times on the directions. The first one...the light ashe blonde....was L'Oreal Preference and it said to leave on 30 minutes...so I did. The 2nd one was Natural Instincts in a light ashe brown and it said 10 minutes...so I did 10 minutes.

I'm throwing in the towel and calling my hair stylist on Monday. Luckily I was planning on having my hair done anyways because my last dye job to get it back to natural had turned so brassy, so the cost wont matter much.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

good decision!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page