• 2 Post By Gwyllgi
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 4 Post By SuperG

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

What is Eastern European Shepherd - ВЕО

It is german shepherd or not?

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”
― Milan Kundera

Last edited by Rogach; 03-16-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Elite Member

Yes, yes it is. Looks like same dog at different ages? If so he matured nicely in last pic.

Eastern European GSD could mean a lot of things except for West German work (WGWL) and show lines (WGSL) Generally when people say "East" they mean DDR lines of which there are not many true lines left, or Czech lines. My current dog is out of Slovakian lines that are pretty much WGWLxCzech lines. Dog I have coming is WGWL.

Hope that helps.
Rogach likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Master Member

I thought in the pics the dogs looked larger to me....backs are straighter than the norm...apparently they're a separate and rare breed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East-European_Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 AM

They are a cross breed of a GSD and native Russian dogs that was developed in the 1930s to produce a hardy working dog that could survive the cold Russian climate.

They are not to be confused with the former DDR east German shepherd dogs.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Jax08 and Rogach like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Crowned Member

I believe they are a separate breed. They look much bigger then a german Shepherd more like a king shepherd size or Shiloh Shepherd size.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...d.php?t=628666
Jax08 likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Reading that post again I’m still not sure if this is a separate breed or just a different line. I remember meeting some people from Russia giving lots of to love to Luna when she was a pup small enough to fit in the shopping cart, when I was in home goods store. I was trying on a little red puppy coat on Luna - wondered what they thought about that. These two giant Russian men lit up like light bulbs when they saw Luna it was really cute to see. Their harsh Russian accents quickly turning into cool soothing puppy tones. They wanted me to see their gsds they had in a van -they called them the ultimate shepherds from Russia. I do wonder if they were talking about these dogs though. It’s why I’m blabbering about this. These men stood out like sore thumbs -over 6 feet tall, speaking Russian and looked like they came straight from a movie set filmed in Russia- standing on a Home Goods line. I remember it was the day after Trump was elected - you can really feel all the tension on that Home Goods line that was unusually long and so very quiet lol!
Jlgc likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Crowned Member

Felt that same tension in the grocery store in the aisle where the Russian salad dressing was.............

SuperG
Jax08, pam, CometDog and 1 others like this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:05 AM

I see a family resemblance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN1071.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	519135   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1077.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	519137  

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Felt that same tension in the grocery store in the aisle where the Russian salad dressing was.............

SuperG
So you know exactly what I was talking about you nut! lmao!!!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 PM

Your EEGsd is gorgeous!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page