Early litter visits? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Early litter visits?

Breeders, when do you have (potential) new owners visit the litter after their birth? Especially when they live in the area. How often? etc.
I talked to a breeder of non-GSDs and he said that his female does not even like him to handle the pups for the first few days (without being aggressive but nudging his hands away).
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We start allowing visitors around 3 weeks after eyes and ears are open and the pups are mobile, fully aware and have had time to adjust to their new sight and hearing. Local people are welcome to visit them weekly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

Depends. We do not want people that are jumping around, breeder to breeder, window shopping. We know what we do for sanitation, etc. We do not know what others do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

I start from day one taking pictures and sending to the people who have reserved puppies. However, I ask that no one actually visit the kennel in person, until the puppies are three weeks old, are moving around and have their eyes and ears open.
After that point, once picks have been made, I encourage new owners to visit no more than once a week, and they're only allowed to visit while either myself or my husband are available to supervise the visit. And I record every visit, and the basics of what transpired.
I've had people pick a pup, come visit with it, then notice several weeks in that it's not a good fit and another pup from the litter would work better for them. That's something you wouldn't be able to determine with a four day old, one week, two week old puppy.

I know breeders who say "Oh yeah, come on down any time, stay as long as you want, if I'm not there, just make sure you close the gate back when you leave." That's crazy to me. Crazy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We don't allow any window shoppers, or people we don't already know. Visits are limited to friends, family, neighbors, SchH club members and people who already have a deposit in on the litter. Since everyone is vetted already and hasn't been jumping around, we feel it's pretty safe. And great socialization for the pups. Anyone wanting to "just come out and see dogs" is not allowed.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

I wait for the pups to be over 3 weeks, usually 4 weeks. The pup's temperature does not reach the adult temperature until around then, and they cannot sustain a fever. So any type of illness, not just those we vaccinate against, can cause serious problems and death for puppies. Once they are 100 degrees or so, a fever that will kill an ordinary virus can be sustained by the puppy and they are a lot less susceptible to anything that might come from having visitors handling them.

After four weeks, I still do not allow strange dogs on the place, but I do allow people to come and see their puppy if they choose to do so. I also bring in my nieces to expose the pups to babies and children. Neither set of girls have dogs at home, so they can come in right at three weeks or just under. Usually before three weeks it really doesn't do much for the puppies. From 3-8 weeks having them around children and babies is very good for them.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page