Is it just me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Is it just me?

We have a black shepherd puppy. I haven’t noticed prior to getting her that there are A LOT of black pups lately. Is this just like when you get a new car and suddenly start seeing the same car constantly, when you really just never noticed before?

Also, what makes some completely black, and some with a white blaze on their chests? Mine has the white blaze, which doesn’t bother me at all, especially since we don’t show dogs. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Master Member

I have only seen one black GSD in our town, ever! (in the Home Depot...quite a big gorgeous guy).
They are certainly not common here!
Maybe there is a breeder near your area?

( Maybe I had the same thing happen with my car...I used to drive a beige Camry and every time I came out of a store, I'd get confused because there would be 3 other beige Camrys in the lot. So I vowed to get an unusual color next time. Well, I got a "seaglass" Prius and they seem to be all over our town now! So much for that idea!)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:10 PM

Since I got my Jupey, I have met only one other black GSD. We have an active dog park, and I've seen many GSDs, shepherd mixes, and even two white GSDs, but not a single other black (the one we did meet was at another dog park).

I am part of the black GSD facebook group, though (which is worldwide), and there are new people every day. It seems that almost half of all black GSDs are named either Shadow or Bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:26 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
I am part of the black GSD facebook group, though (which is worldwide), and there are new people every day. It seems that almost half of all black GSDs are named either Shadow or Bear.
Ha ha, I've found that half of huskies are named "Balto" or "Yukon". And, the white ones are usually named "Ghost" in honor of Game of Thrones. :-)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
We have a black shepherd puppy. I havenít noticed prior to getting her that there are A LOT of black pups lately. Is this just like when you get a new car and suddenly start seeing the same car constantly, when you really just never noticed before?

Also, what makes some completely black, and some with a white blaze on their chests? Mine has the white blaze, which doesnít bother me at all, especially since we donít show dogs. Just curious.
The white markings are a genetic thing. Someone smarter then me can explain it. Lol.
The seeing them is the new car idea. Bud came from a line that produced blacks so I'm used to seeing them. I was a bit shocked when people started saying they had never seen one. In Buds lines every litter produced one black and one long coat. Just one. Always female. It was very weird and only once a black long coat. I would have loved to study the genetics on it.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Master Member

About 7% of GSDs are black. Genetically true blacks are very black and have black noses and black pads and nails. They might have a tad of silver or grey intermingled with black between their toes and up the back of the front legs. A black GSD who carries a white recessive gene would likely show this by white toes and nails or a large white blaze on the chest or both. Some believe that some blacks with white patches are the result of some type of issue during embryonic development rather than genetics. Breeders who breed strictly for blacks, such as a breeding where five generations and all 62 ancestors are all black with no scattered tan, silver or grey hairs anywhere on them, are very black and generally blacker than most people see. My GSD is black and out of two sable colored dogs. He is very black with black nails, pads and nose and has a few silver hairs scattered between his toes and a little bit of grey going up a small section of his rear front legs. Some believe that genetically true blacks tend to be a little different in that they are often larger and tend to have a straighter back. That is the case with my dog. He is very large boned, well muscled, about 26" at the withers, has a thick long tail, and weighs about 108 pounds.
Sabis mom, Jlgc and CactusWren like this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post

Also, what makes some completely black, and some with a white blaze on their chests? Mine has the white blaze, which doesn’t bother me at all, especially since we don’t show dogs. Just curious.

The white spot is residual in German Shepherds. There may be a genetic component but it's not a spotting gene. The last spots to develop color is on the chest and toes so if your's has white, it's simply a development thing. I spoke to a geneticist about this a few months ago.

My black and tan girl has a white spot like her black and tan father. Several of the puppies did and I've seen several from another male that has white like him. So I do think there is something genetic in the development that throws that but it's not a spotting gene like other breeds nor is related to the "white" gene which is actually a masking gene, not a color gene.

Even if you did show dogs, you don't get dinged unless it's excessive.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by Jax08; 06-17-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

That’s the weird thing, the breeder said that this is the first litter of the same dam and sire to have the white blaze. They have had 4 other successfully litters of all black.

It’s a small white blaze. She has no other white anywhere. Black nose, black nails, all black between her toes. It’s just that one white blaze.

The only breeders we have where I live are crap BYB, without a clue as to what to look for in a breeding pair. No health testing prior to breeding. Most of the pups are sold at 6 weeks with no vaccinations or deworming. I would never get a pup from a breeder in my area. We got Seiran from a reputable breeder in Washington, and I live in AZ. They called us immediately when the blaze appeared and offered us pick of the next black litter, or a discounted cost on the one they chose for us do to that white blaze. We told them we were perfectly happy with the one they chose for us, and no need to discount or wait for the next litter. We don’t do anything where a patch would matter, they are mainly household pets that we give work. Like agility. But that is just for fun and to keep the Husky/GSD from having the hard zoomies that destroy everything in his reach! Lol
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Some believe that genetically true blacks tend to be a little different in that they are often larger and tend to have a straighter back. That is the case with my dog. He is very large boned, well muscled, about 26" at the withers, has a thick long tail, and weighs about 108 pounds.
My Jupey is like this, very stocky and muscular and above-average size. Straight back, kind of with a big butt. He's a bit over 75 lbs at 7.5 months. His tail is crooked and short (we think broken in the womb), but it's very thick.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

That’s odd, our breeder said his blacks tend to be a bit smaller than the normal Black and Tans. Maybe just his breeding pair? I was able to meet the dam, and she was the same size as Lyka, who is shorter then the standard GSD. Not that I’ve measured, just by seeing the ones locally, and in pictures 🤷‍♀️ 🤣
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page