Is it just me? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

It's the reason many shelters have black cat and dog adoption days. Humans have a natural aversion/fear to black animals.
I believe it's part of our genetic memory. Most predators hunt at night, so regardless of color would appear as black. Since we began our evolution as prey we have an instinctive fear response to predators. Although some people seem not to react to it a vast majority of people shown photos of animals show a heightened fear response to the black ones, even if they say they like them.
Hellish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Our town has the same adoption thing, where the adoption fee is $0 for an adult, or $20 for a puppy, but not for black dogs, for all the pit/pit mixes and Chihuahua/chi mixes. They do it every time they are at capacity, so every few weeks. Sadly, most of them end up as bait dogs, and the ones that don’t, usually end up back at the shelter. I’m sure a few (just assuming) stay with a good forever home. They also don’t allow adoption of any black dog or cat in the month of October, because they get adopted for Halloween, then returned after. My town sucks when it comes to animals. You’ll find more dogs outside on chains, in the middle of the summer (115 average temp) then you will find inside homes. As hard as it is for me to understand, I do know it’s largely a cultural thing, and they don’t view their animals as pets, but as “guard dogs.”
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
I thought I was the only one left still wearing the bootcut! All I ever see is the skinny legged ones around here, and that is not a sight ANYONE needs to get of me! Lol

Bootleg leggings, and a nice loose T-shirt, all day every day, no yoga class necessary 🤣
Never pinch/taper at the ankles!! It is the difference between looking svelt or looking like a cake topping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

This. Weekend. Is. Going. To. Be. So. Much. Fun.
Yes, yes it is lol
Sabis mom likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Our town has the same adoption thing, where the adoption fee is $0 for an adult, or $20 for a puppy, but not for black dogs, for all the pit/pit mixes and Chihuahua/chi mixes. They do it every time they are at capacity, so every few weeks. Sadly, most of them end up as bait dogs, and the ones that donít, usually end up back at the shelter. Iím sure a few (just assuming) stay with a good forever home. They also donít allow adoption of any black dog or cat in the month of October, because they get adopted for Halloween, then returned after. My town sucks when it comes to animals. Youíll find more dogs outside on chains, in the middle of the summer (115 average temp) then you will find inside homes. As hard as it is for me to understand, I do know itís largely a cultural thing, and they donít view their animals as pets, but as ďguard dogs.Ē
I know you referenced being in Arizona and now I am thinking you are probably southerly and could possibly be a neighbor of mine I am a transplant from small town NH where Craigslist features like 5 listings for dogs being rehomed. The way animals are discarded here is vulgar in intent and volume.

All my babies are black (the dog, the three rescued cats). Because not only is black slenderizing, but it goes with everything and I seem to fill my wardrobe with it to disguise pet fur. Hubby wants me to consider a husky when I add another dog to the household soon and I am like.. mmm, NO. How does sable work with black yoga pants?

Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish View Post
Quote:
Our town has the same adoption thing, where the adoption fee is $0 for an adult, or $20 for a puppy, but not for black dogs, for all the pit/pit mixes and Chihuahua/chi mixes. They do it every time they are at capacity, so every few weeks. Sadly, most of them end up as bait dogs, and the ones that don’t, usually end up back at the shelter. I’m sure a few (just assuming) stay with a good forever home. They also don’t allow adoption of any black dog or cat in the month of October, because they get adopted for Halloween, then returned after. My town sucks when it comes to animals. You’ll find more dogs outside on chains, in the middle of the summer (115 average temp) then you will find inside homes. As hard as it is for me to understand, I do know it’s largely a cultural thing, and they don’t view their animals as pets, but as “guard dogs.”
I know you referenced being in Arizona and now I am thinking you are probably southerly and could possibly be a neighbor of mine [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG] I am a transplant from small town NH where Craigslist features like 5 listings for dogs being rehomed. The way animals are discarded here is vulgar in intent and volume.

All my babies are black (the dog, the three rescued cats). Because not only is black slenderizing, but it goes with everything and I seem to fill my wardrobe with it to disguise pet fur. Hubby wants me to consider a husky when I add another dog to the household soon and I am like.. mmm, NO. How does sable work with black yoga pants?
Are you in Yuma? That would be a wild coincidence!

We have a Husky. A white one. With 2 full under coats and his top coat. A Black and Tan GSD, and now the black pup. I just don’t go in public anymore, who has time to get 3 types/color of hair off anything?!? I sent hubs to run all the errands 😂
Hellish likes this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM

I am in Tucson. [email protected] going out in public.

Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:35 PM

I didn't notice many black GSDs...until I got mine. Everyone remarks how beautiful he is...but tend to be leery of him even though he's very neutral and social. They are ALWAYS drawn to my long stock coat dark sable female. Probably because she's "fluffy" and not so intimidating looking. She's actually pretty feisty whereas my male is laid back. He also had a white blaze on his chest (still does) but it's gotten smaller as he's gotten older. He has tan hairs in between his toes and bleed through of light tan on the back of his legs too.
Hellish likes this.

Michele - Furmom to:
Frannie - 7/15/12 (Dark sable DDR GSD)
Judah - 6/15/15 (Black DDR GSD)

Gone but never forgotten:
Darby - 3/27/02 - 12/13/11 (Black/tan West German GSD)
Fritz - 12/3/03 - 9/3/12 (Red sable Czech/West German GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page