Is it just me? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
Thatís odd, our breeder said his blacks tend to be a bit smaller than the normal Black and Tans. Maybe just his breeding pair? I was able to meet the dam, and she was the same size as Lyka, who is shorter then the standard GSD. Not that Iíve measured, just by seeing the ones locally, and in pictures 🤷‍♀️ 🤣
The size of the dog has nothing to do with color. It is determined by other factors. If your breeder is thinking that his black pups are smaller it could be nothing more then luck, or some as yet unknown anomaly. As I said earlier the black pups born in Buds line were always female. Not a single black male in the whole line. It just worked out that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:21 PM

Judging size by dogs seen locally is doing your dog a disservice. The second thing out of everyone's mouth on seeing my black guy (first is, of course, "What is he mixed with?") is that he is small for a shepherd. At 2 yrs. old he is within breed standard for height at 24.5" at the withers. Folks in the US are so indoctrinated to seeing what the pet market has done to shepherds = oversized saddlebacks.
Sabis mom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish View Post
Judging size by dogs seen locally is doing your dog a disservice. The second thing out of everyone's mouth on seeing my black guy (first is, of course, "What is he mixed with?") is that he is small for a shepherd. At 2 yrs. old he is within breed standard for height at 24.5" at the withers. Folks in the US are so indoctrinated to seeing what the pet market has done to shepherds = oversized saddlebacks.
I constantly get the same thing with Lyka because of her size. I’m not even sure if she pure GSD, she was being used in a shoddy BYB “program,” as a breeding bitch, and has no papers.

While researching breeders, we took our time. We waited a little over a year for the litter of the breeding pair we wanted, and that was because they said their pair breeds slightly smaller than standard GSD’s. I’d much rather have a 50lb GSD than a 100lb GSD. The dam flips between 45-50lbs, the sire maxes out at 70 when working. I was just saying odd, because I often hear that black GSD’s tend to run taller and morw bulky than their Black and Tan counterparts.

Lyka and Seiran both have straight backs. My Husky/GSD also has a straight back. We aren’t interest in the over sized dogs, which is why we were on the hunt for a reputable breeder not pushing the oversized, swayed back GSD.

I was in an auto accident 2 years ago that has left me completely numb on the right side of my body. It makes it difficult to handle even my small GSD and Husky on walks, so I only walk with my DH, and I focus more on training and agility, which doesn’t take as much use of my right side. A sable Shilo is my dream dog looks wise, but I would never purchase one, again because it’s more dog than I can handle.
@Jax08, thanks for the info! I couldn’t seem to find anything as to why some have the white and some don’t.
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Elite Member

Black often appears smaller at first even if it isn't. 2 million women over 40 in bootcut yoga pants can't be wrong. (Hi- me included)

My dog has the small white blaze (he is a bicolor). We jokingly call it The Stamp since his great grandsire has it.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Master Member

Yep, there's also the "little black dresses" and the black swimsuits...:-)

The one black GSD I saw was very big, probably an 85-90 pounder.
I had never seen one before - his shape was unmistakably GSD but my first thought was, "Wow, I didn't know they came in that color!"
He was calm and well-behaved, but I noticed that people in the Home Depot were giving him a lot of space. :-)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

I have heard black gsds are known to be larger may be different in different lines I’m not sure. Just bone alone can add to the weight same with people.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Black often appears smaller at first even if it isn't. 2 million women over 40 in bootcut yoga pants can't be wrong. (Hi- me included)

My dog has the small white blaze (he is a bicolor). We jokingly call it The Stamp since his great grandsire has it.
I thought I was the only one left still wearing the bootcut! All I ever see is the skinny legged ones around here, and that is not a sight ANYONE needs to get of me! Lol

Bootleg leggings, and a nice loose T-shirt, all day every day, no yoga class necessary 🤣
Sabis mom, Hellish and CometDog like this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

A lot of the black GSD's that popped up in Alberta originated from Czech imports brought in in the early 2000's. They seemed to be a bit heavier boned and had a distinctly different shape then the ASL lines that had been commonly seen in the area before that.
Keeping in mind that the working line dogs were largely, well, working and tended to sell to a different set then the pet folks it stands to reason that when they first started appearing it caused a stir.
Now that the pet stock is bigger to keep up with that "mine is bigger" mentality it is not so noticeable.

Also understand that humans have evolved to instinctively see some shapes and colors as threatening which can give a perception of "bigger". Bud was 95lbs lean, so a big boy and he carried himself with authority. Although he was dark he was distinctly black and red yet a majority of people moved out of his way when we walked no matter how well behaved he was. Lex was black and decidedly smaller then Sabs yet people perceived her as the bigger and more threatening of the two.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometdog View Post
black often appears smaller at first even if it isn't. 2 million women over 40 in bootcut yoga pants can't be wrong. (hi- me included)

This. Weekend. Is. Going. To. Be. So. Much. Fun.
Sabis mom and CometDog like this.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post

Also understand that humans have evolved to instinctively see some shapes and colors as threatening which can give a perception of "bigger".
I sent my parents a picture of Jupiter with a big, goofy smile (my avi) nd two long strands of drool, which to me and my family was cute and silly. Both of my parents interpreted the picture as being scary! I wonder how much of that is his black fur.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page