Reverse Masks - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Reverse Masks

Found this old picture of Adolph Hitler and his GSD, Blondi. It caught my attention because

Blondi has the same/similar head and face of my new rescue 'Heidi'. I've been scouring pics

looking for another dog that resembles Heidi and wondered if she is a mix since she doesn't have

the traditional look of modern gsd's w/ the broad head and dark mask. Although the farther I

go back in pictures, 100-150 yrs., the more dogs I see similar to Heidi. Is it possible she's just

an 'old style' dog?

Adolf Hitler - Escaparatedemascotas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

another pic of Hitler's Blondi, circa 1941

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blondi...em_Berghof.jpg
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:01 AM
Elite Member

Heidi, I think you may be referring to the reverse mask facial marking a lot of these dogs had. Here's another one of Hitler's dogs (NOT Blondi, this time.) It looks exactly like the Littlest Hobo dogs from the TV series.

Here's a link to the article about the series, which explains the reverse mask. I have frequently seen the mask in old photos, especially of the East German (D.D.R.) dogs! It is also frequently seen in huskies, which is why some people think these dogs aren't purebred. The Hobo dogs were black an sliver, which is also not according to the breed standard. However, it was felt this colour would show up better on a black and white TV screen. Reverse masked dogs can also, of course, be black and tan, like my Tasha (see Shepherd Collie mix thread.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littlest_Hobo
Attached Images

Orphan Heidi likes this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-27-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:08 AM
Elite Member

The reverse mask is a result of a recessive gene. One famous GSD that had a reverse mask was Lord v. Gleisdreieck:
Lord vom Gleisdreieck

Edit: found this old thread on the forum! https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...erse-mask.html
Orphan Heidi likes this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-27-2018 at 01:11 AM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sunsilver, that was interesting reading. Funny you mention your dog Tasha, as I noticed in the other thread that

your photo of her looks so much like my Heidi. I don't see too many that have this face. My son thinks my Heidi is

part Husky but we won't know for sure til I have her DNA done.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Don't think it is necessary to use Hitler in pictures to illustrate a reversed mask. (I was raised in Europe to make a long story short in honor my grandpa)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Orphan Heidi, is it possible for you to post a picture of your dog? I'd like to see her!

A side view (stacked photo) works best so we can get an idea of how much angulation she has. A husky would be much straighter in the hind legs than a GSD, but like I said, both the husky and GSD can have this sort of mask.

Littlest Hobo dogs with their trainer, Chuck Eisenman:
Attached Images

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-27-2018 at 12:18 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Here's a link to the article about the series, which explains the reverse mask. I have frequently seen the mask in old photos, especially of the East German (D.D.R.) dogs! It is also frequently seen in huskies, which is why some people think these dogs aren't purebred.
The GSD wasn't a pure breed at it's inception so that distinct marking like all other traits had to come from another breed or mixed breed in the beginning. Those recessive genes are the gift that keeps on giving It's definitely something that's been part of the breed from the beginning, you can see it in earlier dogs.

Going way back, not sure but it looks like Frack vom Polizeprasidium (SZ 6534) had a reverse mask. (picture isn't the best) He was born in 1906. (he's in Max's book)

Frack vom Polizeipräsidium Berlin (fr. von der Eiche)

Going back even further in Fracks pedigree you'll find Baron von der Krone fr. Max SZ 162. (born in 1898) Wish there was a color photo of him to see if his face was silver or tan.
Baron von der Krone fr. Max (1898)
Sunsilver and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

You do realize that when the liberating Armys were coming in and it was over that Hitler tested a deadly poison on his own dog for suicide purposes.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

He also trained GSDs to feed under tanks. Then once trained, they put bombs on their back and send them hungry over to the German enemies' tanks to "eat".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page