Somehow my bought from a random family dog is a treasure - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

We heard about a family near us that had some accidental puppies. They had found homes for all but 4. And they were keeping one but had 3 left. (Unfortunately I heard two might have went to the shelter :/) We decided to just randomly go and see one last year. We had been looking at shelters near us for almost a year and there’s a huge waitlist around here so we basically gave up.

They weren’t BYB’s. The two ex owners cried when they handed us the puppy. But they certainly weren’t experienced so I knew we were taking a gamble. And somehow luck was on our side (which was great because we’ve had awful luck with health/other stuff this year) because my 10 month old is a dream.

I just can’t believe we got so lucky. She’s calm in the house and she acts like a 6 year old dog at least. But the second you take her outside, she has a very high drive but is still very obedient. We got her health tested and she wasn’t a carrier or at risk for any of the 200 or so diseases they test for as well! And she’s absolutely gorgeous. She learns a new trick in just a few repetitions. I think the calmness makes me the most happy though. It’s like we have a calm older dog in the house already!

Some of the photos of her a few months ago. She’s not in the breed standard. 27 inches already. But thin and healthy.

Proud brag over 🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6203F3A4-8E48-4915-B661-2D67AE51F3A9_1564039865449.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	523701   Click image for larger version

Name:	2981D76E-AE71-4DD5-802B-FB0D3423C8DB_1564039888790.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	523703   Click image for larger version

Name:	6437B2A6-18C8-4454-BA03-7D980BC27188_1564039976954.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	523705  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Knighted Member

Pretty girl!

I have a soft spot for the black ones...

Yup, you get lucky sometimes. I've had a number of rescue German shepherds over the years, and only one had serious health problems.
Clare, Sunflowers and Sabis mom like this.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

She is very pretty. I wish you the best of luck with her.

I had a very calm puppy once. By the time she matured at 2 years and lost her puppy enthusiasm, everyone that then met her thought that she was a very old dog! I later placed her with my elderly mother when my father died as my mother was in good shape and still loved daily walks. The dog would walk with her only a few blocks and refuse to walk any further. Poor mom! She wound up leaving the dog at home and went back to walking alone.
Dunkirk likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 AM

You didn't get lucky.

You got smart.

I'm assuming that you met your dog's parents and they were sound stable dogs.

If you want a sound stable companion/family dog, the best place to get a puppy is often from a nice couple or family who occasionally breed their sound stable pet dogs that are house dogs--no kennels or outdoor dogs!--and have passed the appropriate health testing.

Genetics, I learned the hard way, is the most important thing when it comes to temperament and behavior. Socialization and training are very important but their results are determined by genetics.

If you don't believe this, check out the Russian tame and aggressive foxes. The Russians have developed two lines of fur farm foxes, one very tame and the other very aggressive. When they implanted aggressive-fox embryos into tame-fox mothers and had the tame-fox mothers raise them, guess how the pups turned out? Very aggressive.

Some info here, for those who like a scientific point of view:

Foxes | Kukekova Lab
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

She is beautiful! Congratulations, many happy years wished for you Were both parents GSDs? I have a tall one too. He is 27.5 inches.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Pretty girl!

I have a soft spot for the black ones...

Yup, you get lucky sometimes. I've had a number of rescue German shepherds over the years, and only one had serious health problems.
I think I’m biased towards black GSD’s forever now 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
She is very pretty. I wish you the best of luck with her.

I had a very calm puppy once. By the time she matured at 2 years and lost her puppy enthusiasm, everyone that then met her thought that she was a very old dog! I later placed her with my elderly mother when my father died as my mother was in good shape and still loved daily walks. The dog would walk with her only a few blocks and refuse to walk any further. Poor mom! She wound up leaving the dog at home and went back to walking alone.
Thank you! Your poor mom!!! I think with how high her drive is once we step outside, hopefully I’ll always have a walking partner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRob View Post
You didn't get lucky.

You got smart.

I'm assuming that you met your dog's parents and they were sound stable dogs.

If you want a sound stable companion/family dog, the best place to get a puppy is often from a nice couple or family who occasionally breed their sound stable pet dogs that are house dogs--no kennels or outdoor dogs!--and have passed the appropriate health testing.

Genetics, I learned the hard way, is the most important thing when it comes to temperament and behavior. Socialization and training are very important but their results are determined by genetics.

If you don't believe this, check out the Russian tame and aggressive foxes. The Russians have developed two lines of fur farm foxes, one very tame and the other very aggressive. When they implanted aggressive-fox embryos into tame-fox mothers and had the tame-fox mothers raise them, guess how the pups turned out? Very aggressive.

Some info here, for those who like a scientific point of view:

Foxes | Kukekova Lab
Hahaha yes, I did meet the parents. I was ready to make any amount of $$$ offer on the site. Most incredible dog I’ve ever seen in my life. That’s really interesting as well!!!! I believe it. My dog is exactly like her sire was.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:36 PM

Congratulations on your find! Beautiful young dog.
JonRob likes this.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 04:36 PM

That's great- and it sounds like the dog is drivey once out of the home, just calm in the house (the enviable on-off switch). My first GSD was a treasure like yours, unknown pedigree, beautiful, no health problems perfect temperament. High energy outside the home, calm energy in the house and absolutely terrific with small children.

Sometimes I wish I'd bred her, many people stopped me and asked me if I was a GSD breeder, or where I got her, because she was such a perfect example of a balanced GSD, and unfortunately there aren't a whole lot out there in public.

Congratulations, he is beautiful.
JonRob likes this.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

I heard some one say once "The best dog in the world is laying in someones yard" Could be yours. Congrats.

Doc

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
That's great- and it sounds like the dog is drivey once out of the home, just calm in the house (the enviable on-off switch). My first GSD was a treasure like yours, unknown pedigree, beautiful, no health problems perfect temperament. High energy outside the home, calm energy in the house and absolutely terrific with small children.

Sometimes I wish I'd bred her, many people stopped me and asked me if I was a GSD breeder, or where I got her, because she was such a perfect example of a balanced GSD, and unfortunately there aren't a whole lot out there in public.

Congratulations, he is beautiful.
I know I don’t have it in me to be a breeder but we are planning on spaying her and I have a tiny part of me that feels bad about that.. I’d like to just have a million generations of her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page