Vet visit and Sooo Proud! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Vet visit and Sooo Proud!

Ziva had her annual exam today. She has a less than stellar temperament. She runs from fearful and shy to fearful and aggressive depending on the situation. Usually at the vet she is just an anxiety filled whining hot mess but not aggressive with staff. However, encounters with strange dogs have to be avoided.

Today, although very shy with the vet and staff she was such a dream. We entered the waiting area. There was a man with an a yorkie. Ziva was so good. She ignored the dog and laid down by my feet for a good 15 minutes. No whining, pacing or fussing. Just heavy panting (although it was very hot out and walked around before we went in). She did great with all the staff, blood draw and all. We left the exam room and there was no one around but we had to wait to get our heart worm meds and paperwork to be updated. A woman came in with a dachshund. She was interested but minded my leave it command. Then the Yorkie came out of another exam room. Yorkie growled at the dachshund and the dachshund snapped back. My girl looked but didn't react at all. Then the big temptation came. A family came from yet another exam room to the waiting area with a border collie mix and an uncrated, no collar/leash cat being held by a child. Ziva hates cats. She really, really hates cats. For a hot second I thought it was going to be ugly as I was trying to figure out how to get past them and take her outside until they left without fur flying and a child being emotionally scarred for life. She didn't see the cat at first but quickly could smell it. She got up, turned and I thought oh boy her we go. I gave her a quiet but firm "leave it". To my surprise she looked at me (focus) and I said "down" "be good" and she did as I asked. We sat there for another good 5 minutes and she totally ignored the cat. I was floored. When we were called to the counter to get our meds and pay I put myself between her and the cat and although she tried to get by me toward the cat she minded a gentle correction and kept moving away. We got outside and did a happy dance. Home brought her favorite treats.

I'm so proud of my girl. No heavy anxiety, no whining, no lunging at other dogs, didn't try to kill the cat.

On a side note: Who brings a cat to a wellness exam not in a carrier.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
Elite Member

Wow! just reading all of those distractions that she passed with flying colors made me fill with pride. You had a good day!
GatorBytes and Springbrz like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Wow! just reading all of those distractions that she passed with flying colors made me fill with pride. You had a good day!
Indeed we did. It was so out of character for her to be so docile and well behaved. Usually I'm mentally exhausted by vet visits just trying to get her to stop pacing and whining and settle. Keeping her from lunging and barking at other dogs can be an issue as well. Always seem to depend on what she feels about the aura of the other dog. Always a guessing game with her. This vet has a small poorly set up waiting area which made me even more proud of her. All of the other animals were less then 6 ft. from her. She made me very proud today!

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Elite Member

Congratulations! So incredibly, amazingly awesome .... I've run out of adjectives, so happy for you!
Springbrz likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Fantastic!Reason to brag for sure
Springbrz likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

That's gotta feel pretty good expecting challenges and it turns out to be a non-event. Good job!
Springbrz likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
Crowned Member

That is really good! Hats off to you and your girl. Your confidence and calm has helped her a lot, I am sure. Hard work pays off. Lucky Ziva. Vet clinics are the ultimate challenge with stressed owners and stressed dogs/cats or whatever is in these boxes.
Springbrz and stevreb07 like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:22 AM
Elite Member

I used to own a cat that could break out of just about any cat carrier. I put him in a figure of 8 harness for vet visits. Having the cat unrestrained, and in the arms of a child - that's beyond stupid!!
wolfy dog, Springbrz and Benjaminb like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
I used to own a cat that could break out of just about any cat carrier. I put him in a figure of 8 harness for vet visits. Having the cat unrestrained, and in the arms of a child - that's beyond stupid!!
I couldn't believe it myself. Wasn't something I expected to encounter. I was just happy to get out with a mauling happening.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 11:20 AM
Master Member

I am impressed and envious!

My vet would probably be missing a finger if she tried to do a blood draw without Rumo being muzzled. ugh.
It's hard to tell, he may be all Growl and no Bite, but we're not taking chances.

Good for your dog!!

And yes, weird to not have cat in a carrier.
The carriers are so common and not expensive, and a panicked cat can scratch your arms and leap out in a flash...they are so quick..not a good idea in a vet's office with dogs around.
Even when I picked up our little kitten from the shelter long ago, they gave him a ventilated cardboard carrier to go home in (kind of like the ones from Build-A-Bear :-)
Sunsilver and Benjaminb like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in