8Likes
  • 6 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Super bike ride with my super dog

Another brag about Deja, my heart dog. We live close to forest trails and I have resumed bike riding after having healed from back surgery. Yeah!!! I have never competed in obedience or anything competition related sports with Deja. But I do work and play with her (isn't that the same?) on a regular bases in the real world. The result is a super obedient, flexible and socialized dog. Today I biked the forest trails in the cooler morning with her. Had to cover half a mile of country roads on which she stays next to me. On the trails we met several people and stopped for a chat with them. One couple was walking (not riding) a young horse. I stopped, called Deja who always runs ahead of me on trails, she sat next to me all the time, completely ignoring people and horse. Same when I met an old dog training client who had grown frail and walked with a cane. Her wolf dog, I helped her with years ago, had to be put down, due to people's complaints so we chatted about that. She admired my wolfy-looking dog as she put it. Then catching up from behind with jogging people on a narrow trail. Deja wears a jingle bell to alert people (and cougars!). I called her next to me, and we passed them without her taking a second look at them. On the way she cooled off in the creeks on regular intervals, even asked for ball play which I happily obeyed. During one stop, she evidently had lost her jingle bell, and showed up with it as she came out of the creek and gave it to me. Just before the sun broke through, we were home after about an hour. All that time she was never leashed, did everything instantly what I asked from her and never needed a correction. She is not a mindless following robot and definitely enjoys the scents and sights of nature because I allow her that time. As I am writing this she is sleeping on the cool floor. This was a super day. You probably can guess how much I love that dog. She is 5.5 years old, going strong and healthy. Can't and don't want to imagine life without her. There is nothing I want to change about her.
I wish for everyone a bond like that. OK, enough bragging and sweet-talk. Enjoy your dogs! Work and play, be fair and consistent and laugh about the crazy pups and adolescents (but don't let them get away with 'stuf'). Have a good day everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like a good day out with Deja! Did you find an ebike you liked?
wolfy dog likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

Loved the part where she found her bell and brought it to you. What a good girl!
wolfy dog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Sounds like a good day out with Deja! Did you find an ebike you liked?
I am still shopping around. I like my current bike and there are kits available to attach to your own regular bike, turning it electric, so that is an option too. In the meantime I have to work those hills! But will go electric for sure. We actually have a new store in town, specialized in only E-bikes. They also know all the trails out here, very exciting.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like you had a wonderful ride. What a good girl Deja is for finding and fetching her lost bell. Deja sounds like a very special girl.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in