DDR Shepherd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By lhczth
  • 2 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

DDR Shepherd?

Hey everyone I've been looking into getting a Working Line GSD more and more so I'm educating myself on lines, temperaments, training, exercise etc. Though this is a working breed and they require lots of consistent training and exercise throughout their lifetime, what's a day in the life like with your DDR? What do you guys do training wise to get them mentally stimulated so they're satisfied? What about how much exercise you give your DDR to the point where they're content enough to settle and be happy? This dog would be a Service Dog prospect (though it's not the best choice for some people GSD's fit me well I'm just looking into working lines more instead of show), we'd also possibly get into other sports like obedience, rally and many others out there. I have experience working with many breeds but haven't had the pleasure of working with specifically purpose bred working lines. There's only a certain amount of information I can find on the internet with articles so if you could refer me to any that'd be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If you go to a breeder that totally understands the DDR lines they are using, or how to cross them with the other lines, you should be able to get what you are looking for. Do avoid breeders that are just using the "black sable DDR dogs" as a selling gimmick.

You won't find them to be anymore in need of exercise and mental stimulation than most dogs bred to work. I have found some of the DDR dogs to not have as strong of pack drive and not be the easiest dogs in obedience. Not all, but some, so, again, pick the right breeder.
Seer, Sabis mom and CometDog like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Like I said I haven't worked with working line breeds yet and I will of course not get a working line Shepherd or any breed for that matter without working with them hands on. How much exercise and stimulation do you give your Sheps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:02 PM

I think you will find the working lines to be far more active and require much more attention both as a “hugger” and “good boy” praiser and “let’s do something” from the dog. In other words you need to really work continuously with your dog. Many live in the kennel and get out to work only. Some can do this others can’t. Most dogs you see can’t work all day. I likened it to us when I was playing sports. We shagged balls just because it was moving no matter that we were worn out and tired or hurt. It’s just something driving them.

I have an Aussie that just loves hugs, pets and belly rubs. She will work tirelessly as long as I require, then can totally relax. She has been satisfied. Not quite as big as a GSD but the same working attitude. She is keeping me healthy.

These high drive, mentally stable and nervy dogs are a handful but oh so satisfying when they perform.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

My dogs want to work, but even the young ones are pretty good about down time. I have been working awful hours lately and other than being rather bored, they are surviving and no more annoying than usual. Not destructive or noisy or doing anything bad. Mental exercise; like agility, search games, obedience; tires them out quickly so if you don't have time for a lot of physical exercise you can use these types of things instead. They really don't need as much exercise as people want to believe.
dogbyte and Katsugsd like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Oh okay that's definitely good to know. I have always been told they need hours upon hours to be happy while a couple have said their dogs are okay and content with an hour and half to two hours. I know some could go all day but I always am careful when researching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page