Inbreeding Question - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 232Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

I guess I"m a little lost on something. You just recently gave Kody up. Why don't you take him back if you are in a better financial state?
tc68 and wolfy dog like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

These people are not breeders as far as I know. When did I ever mention that they were breeders? They are just pet owners who had a 2 yr old intact female and took on an intact male and had an accidental pregnancy.

I gave them Kody and they want to keep him. It's as simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
These people are not breeders as far as I know. When did I ever mention that they were breeders? They are just pet owners who had a 2 yr old intact female and took on an intact male and had an accidental pregnancy.

I gave them Kody and they want to keep him. It's as simple as that.

I have a problem with all of this. You gave up a dog over a series of UTI's, they often reoccur. It's actually just about as likely as treatment working the first time since something caused it in the first place and it's seldom addressed the first time. This all seems weird but since you now want a puppy, get a puppy. Inbreeding may be the least of your worries.
I also don't believe in oops litters. It is not that hard to keep an eye on your dogs. So I'm not buying it. And I don't think there is anything to be gained by avoiding the truth. They or you wanted puppies, now there are puppies. Seriously. I have had multiple intact dogs all my life, in small spaces, with limited resources. I managed to keep the furry demons from procreating.
Yes breeding this close could bring up all sorts of issues. Temperament, congenital defects, or other assorted issues. You want an IPO dog then go buy one, you want a brood bitch then go buy one but don't put all that baggage on a pup that should not have been produced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Oh, wow, I didnt realize I was being accused here until now. This is why I stopped going on dog forums as much as possible. You can never just ask simple questions without being attacked. I dont know if they "wanted" an "oops" litter. Who knows. I dont know why they would lie about that to me though. Maybe they just dont know how to watch intact dogs, like most pet owners. Obviously not people who visit these forums, but the average pet owner is nowhere near as responsible and watchful of their dogs than trainers or really experienced dog owners who just love training, showing, breeding, or even just learning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Oh, wow, I didnt realize I was being accused here until now. This is why I stopped going on dog forums as much as possible. You can never just ask simple questions without being attacked. I dont know if they "wanted" an "oops" litter. Who knows. I dont know why they would lie about that to me though. Maybe they just dont know how to watch intact dogs, like most pet owners. Obviously not people who visit these forums, but the average pet owner is nowhere near as responsible and watchful of their dogs than trainers or really experienced dog owners who just love training, showing, breeding, or even just learning.

Baloney.

People who have intact dogs know that puppies can happen. Even pet owners. What you are doing is throwing all the pet owners here that keep their dogs intact in order for them to grow properly, be healthier, or for protection/other work under the bus. You are saying that pet owners cannot be trusted to keep their animals intact without breeding them. If that were the fact than one should have a kennel license/breeding permit to own intact dogs. Totally unnecessary. People can be responsible. Oops is more irresponsible than intentionally breeding ANY litter. If your buddy wanted puppies out of dog with an incontinence problem than he/she should say so and take her lumps, not throw dog owners under the bus.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #26 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:

Some could argue that at least part of the responsibility falls on the rehoming party who placed an intact dog in a home with another intact dog of the opposite sex.

Not to mention, your website, offering stud services, may also be raising flags for some members.

Just some things to consider before getting offended.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 01-21-2019 at 01:37 AM.
post #27 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:07 AM
Crowned Member

Why would you bring this question to a public forum? You have to expect a diversity of opinions from informed and uninformed and from folks that think their way is only right way. ��*♀️
There is no right answer to your question, only personal opinions. Your initial question seems to be about the inbreeding aspect of pups in question. I have not seen many insightful answers to this........
tc68, Tulip and JessicaR like this.

Last edited by cliffson1; 01-21-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #28 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Not to mention, your website, offering stud services, may also be raising flags for some members..
Oh dear...

post #29 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Oh, wow, I didnt realize I was being accused here until now.
Well I'm not accusing you of anything. You asked if a person would take a puppy from a litter that closely bred and I responded. But only someone who knows the pedigree can tell you what you MAY get from that litter with the close line breeding. I don't know pedigrees and I'm not going to pretend to. Very few people on this board know pedigrees.

You added information on your finances that opened this conversation up. Steve told you to really make sure your finances were secure and to think of the puppy as a rescue if you went forward with it. I agreed with this. Most solid piece of advice on the thread.

Then you added information on the time line of rehoming your dog. So my question is not an accusation. It's just a question on why you wouldn't take your dog back given the small amount of time that has passed.

As far as the idea of you breeding goes.....if you title that dog and he turns out to be breed worthy then you have just as much right to breed as any of us with pedigree dogs who have been worked and proven to be breed worthy without being harassed over it.
sit,stay, cliffson1, Tulip and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jax08; 01-21-2019 at 08:35 AM.
post #30 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:

I 100% agree, the average pet owner is nowhere near as responsible and watchful of their dogs as trainers or really experienced dog people. Actually, this is why I get annoyed when this forum is like "don't spay or neuter, it isn't healthy!!" when the person posting CLEARLY is not doing what need to be done to prevent accidental breeding.

In my experience, average pet people often aren't even willing/able to do enough supervision and management to prevent counter surfing, never mind breeding. That's fine. I don't care. But spay/neuter your dog if you don't want to be responsible for it.

These people who took your dog should have immediately neutered him, in my opinion. I know people whose under exercised dogs break out of crates and they just shrug and say okay I'll let them trash my house while I am gone because I can't contain them. I can't imagine being okay with that.
sit,stay, Tulip, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page