Obtaining Pedigree - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Obtaining Pedigree

Hello all. Maybe some of you can help me.
I have a BBS (Berger Blanc Suisse / White Swiss Shepherd) and never got any pedigree with my puppy.

Instead the breeder sent me photos of the supposed grandparents of my dog which all looked very impressive. Some with multiple championship titles and some from known BBS kennels here in the US.

While waiting for my dogs papers I got curious and began to look into Pedigree Database website for my dogs parents and came up with nothing.

So going by the photos n screenshots of the grandparents I had, I reached out to these kennels and turns out my breeder lied about at least one dog in the lines. Claimed the grandmother was a dog with 3x champion titles produced by the kennel when in fact it’s an import from Germany with only one title.
But I did get the information I was looking for as far as to where my dog came from. And they were much more concise and forthcoming with that info than my breeder ever was.

I know vets aren’t experts on pedigrees or anything but my vet mentioned I could get her papers myself online. And that I could do so based on DNA testing. Which I literally had no idea was a thing can anyone confirm this?

I’m tired of the back n forth so my question is this. How do I go about getting papers for my dog myself ???
I do not care if they are UKC or AKC papers tbh. I just want my dogs pedigree.

- I have the name under which my dog was registered
- I have both parents registered names and I believe their registration numbers as well (a 6digit number appears by their name proceeded by the letter P)
- And I now know the dogs for at least 3- 4 generations back.

Shortened-
Based off of the information I have, is there a way to get my dogs pedigree on my own without help from the breeder?

Is DNA testing a way to do this?

Does PedigreeDatabase.com include UKC pedigrees? Or just AKC?

Thank you in advance for all your help !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:12 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

If your dogís parents were not properly registered, I donít know that there is any way for you to obtain actual AKC registration. You can, however, obtain a PAL (purebred alternative listing) number so you can enter AKC events. Your dog needs to be altered for that, though. If you donít plan on competing in AKC, I donít know that it would be worth it or necessary to do. Iím unfamiliar with exactly how UKC works, but that registry is really more for competing/showing than proving lineage.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey GypsyGhost, thanks for the response.
I am not planning on spaying (if I do it'll be after she turns 2) and it is not stated in my contract with the breeder that I do so.
I am assuming the parents are properly registered as I have their registered names and some kind of ID number for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobaSheWolf11 View Post
Hey GypsyGhost, thanks for the response.
I am not planning on spaying (if I do it'll be after she turns 2) and it is not stated in my contract with the breeder that I do so.
I am assuming the parents are properly registered as I have their registered names and some kind of ID number for them.
AKC and UKC both require 3 generations of ancestry, documented either with them or another acceptable registry, no exceptions. So finding out that information first will be the next step. The Pedigree DB is user entered information, so not finding the parents listed there doesn't mean they aren't registered. The numbers you have for the parents should help - though a 6 digit number proceeded by a P doesn't sound like an AKC number, they have a search function on their site, so you could try it easy enough. I couldn't find a search function on the UKC site, but you can contact their registration help line to see if one is available. If you can locate the parents in a registry, provided you have some proof that they are in fact your dog's parents, you should be able to handle registration on your own. Otherwise, you may have no other choice than to contact the breeder again. Good Luck!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Knighted Member

More info from:

https://www.americanbbsclub.org/registration#

"The family home looking for an American or Canadian bred White Swiss Shepherd/Berger Blanc Suisse needs to ask to see a copy of the FCPR registration certificate of both the sire and dam. Sometimes a breeder will import a dam from Europe pregnant with a sire also in Europe. If you purchase a pup from this scenario, the breeder should provide you with copies of Export Pedigrees for the parents corresponding FCI member countries and the registration certificate with the FCPR, FCI Puerto Rico.

You would need the breeder to register both parents with FCPR. This is routinely done and there are several dogs registered in multiple FCI member countries. This also happens in artificial insemination. The stud providing the semen needs to get registered in the country of the insemination for the pending pups to be registered, even though the stud stays registered in his country of origin.

A breed of dog is only as good as the integrity of the registration process."

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page