Dutch Shepherd or German Shepherd mix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Dutch Shepherd or German Shepherd mix?

My husband and I adopted our dog, Barkley, several months ago from a local dog rescue. I am curious as to what breed he could be. I have done some research on this topic but wanted to know some other opinions on the matter.

So my question is: Is it more likely that he is a Dutch Shepherd or a German Shepherd? I have read in another thread on this forum that it is possible for German Shepherds to have a brindle-colored coat, although this is very rare (and the topic was disputable). I also know that Dutch Shepherds are known to have this brindle coloring but was also told that Dutch Shepherds are a rarity to find in the US. Since he came from a shelter, it is very likely that he may be mixed with another breed. So he may be a Dutch Shepherd mix, which is what I am leaning towards.

Background information: Since we adopted him from a local dog rescue, they have limited information about him. I was told that he was found as a stray in southern California, was transferred to a high kill shelter, but was then transferred to our local shelter to be adopted.

I am not looking to breed him, as he was neutered at the dog rescue. Genetics testing did cross my mind, but since I am not looking to breed him, it would just serve as a way to fulfill my curiosity. I will attach a few photos of Barkley in this thread for your review.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barkley2.jpg
Views:	39250
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	277146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barkley3.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	277154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Barkley.jpg
Views:	48205
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	277162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140611_180832.jpg
Views:	7579
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	277170   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140611_180832(0).jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	277178  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140611_180456.jpg
Views:	2565
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	277186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

Wow he's gorgeous! GSD/Dutchie cross would be my guess

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 PM

I'm no expert but he kind of looks like he might be mixed with a gsd and a mountain curr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:54 PM

btw he is a beautiful boy what ever his lineage
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Knighted Member

I just wanted to say that he is so beautiful, and has the sweetest face
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkley2014 View Post
My husband and I adopted our dog, Barkley, several months ago from a local dog rescue. I am curious as to what breed he could be. I have done some research on this topic but wanted to know some other opinions on the matter.

So my question is: Is it more likely that he is a Dutch Shepherd or a German Shepherd? I have read in another thread on this forum that it is possible for German Shepherds to have a brindle-colored coat, although this is very rare (and the topic was disputable). I also know that Dutch Shepherds are known to have this brindle coloring but was also told that Dutch Shepherds are a rarity to find in the US. Since he came from a shelter, it is very likely that he may be mixed with another breed. So he may be a Dutch Shepherd mix, which is what I am leaning towards.

Background information: Since we adopted him from a local dog rescue, they have limited information about him. I was told that he was found as a stray in southern California, was transferred to a high kill shelter, but was then transferred to our local shelter to be adopted.

I am not looking to breed him, as he was neutered at the dog rescue. Genetics testing did cross my mind, but since I am not looking to breed him, it would just serve as a way to fulfill my curiosity. I will attach a few photos of Barkley in this thread for your review.
Based on the saddle I would say gsd mix. There are so many breeds with brindle colors.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Master Member

Awwww... wow such the sweetest face!

Warden - Sable GSD 4/23/2013
Blackjack - Black and tan GSD 4/23/11-6/1/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusthegsd143 View Post
Based on the saddle I would say gsd mix. There are so many breeds with brindle colors.
I agree, looks like a GSD mix. Dutchies are far from the only breed with brindle and more rare than many others that are often found in shelters or mixed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Love his 👂s. Brindle goes across many breeds. I have a friend with an Italian greyhound brindle. I am not thinking dutchie. His fluffy face reminds me of poodle or labradoodle.

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Banned

First thing I see is a long neck?? Could be likely at least three breeds in him not just the two? Just guessing however.

He's a good lookinmg dog in any case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in