Anyone own a Czech or DDR working line dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Anyone own a Czech or DDR working line dog?

What is it like to live with your individual dog? Any pictures? What are the health of these dogs like? If they have a job can they still be a family pet?
AdamGates is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.
 
gsdsar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,913
Honestly. It's the individual dog. Too general to say with any certainty. It's hard to lump " lineage" into one way of being.

Personally mine are lovely to live with. Had some teenage rank issues with my last boy, have not hit that stage with my new puppy.

But those are my dogs. I can't speak for every dog if this lineage.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
gsdsar is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Elite Member
 
PupperLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,364
I have a full DDR female pup as of now, and she's great! She's a ton of fun to live with. She's confident, energetic, but also has a good ability to calm down in the house for a pup!). She's a lot more mouthy than my other GSD ever was. She is very clear headed as well. As far as health goes, you need to find out what exactly your breeder is doing as far as health tests. There can be problems with health in any bloodline. Find out what it is your breeder is producing as far as working drives. The breeder I got Tinah (Tina) from has certain breedings and even particular pups from litters that need to go to working homes, and several others that do completely fine in an active family setting.

Home << Melinda at Vom Gildaf is great. She currently has a DDR litter on the ground out of Kantor and Mako. Tinah is out of Kantor and Edge. I met Melinda's dogs, and they are very fun, outgoing, and have awesome temperaments.


Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13

Last edited by PupperLove; 09-05-2013 at 10:51 AM.
PupperLove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Master Member
 
Narny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston Pearland
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGates View Post
What is it like to live with your individual dog? Any pictures? What are the health of these dogs like? If they have a job can they still be a family pet?
I think it's varies based on your breeder honestly. Lulu is both Czech and DDR. She gets a little nervous more than I would like. And by Nervous I mean she yawns due to stress in the car and other social situations. At home she is a low to middle drive dog thats got one **** of a ball and food drive. She doesn't have much of a prey drive but I think I under the right situation I could foster that and help it grow.

when I first was looking for a breeder, people told me that they thought the dam and sire that I have chosen may be to much for me.

I just made sure that I was very honest with the breeder about what kind of dog it is we really needed. I was blessed and Lulu is perfect for us.

I also prayed a lot lol because I'm a control freak and I wasn't able to meet lulu before the breeder delivered her to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
Narny is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Master Member
 
Narny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston Pearland
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
I think it's varies based on your breeder honestly. Lulu is both Czech and DDR. She gets a little nervous more than I would like. And by Nervous I mean she yawns due to stress in the car and other social situations. At home she is a low to middle drive dog thats got one **** of a ball and food drive. She doesn't have much of a prey drive but I think I under the right situation I could foster that and help it grow.

when I first was looking for a breeder, people told me that they thought the dam and sire that I have chosen may be to much for me.

I just made sure that I was very honest with the breeder about what kind of dog it is we really needed. I was blessed and Lulu is perfect for us.

I also prayed a lot lol because I'm a control freak and I wasn't able to meet lulu before the breeder delivered her to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
This is my Lulu.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378397386636.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	108250  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
Narny is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member
 
elisabeth_00117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 8,988
My female is 1/2 Czech mixed with DDR and some WG working lines.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac

She is a lot of dog.

Intense, strong willed, very biddable though, wants to interact/work with me. Can be quite pushy.

She is high drive, almost extreme and has a hard time capping herself (which is a mixture of training and genetics in my opinion). Lower thresholds and can be quite civil/sharp in her work.

I would say she has good nerve and is great with kids and people.

She has flashy obedience, amazing toy drive, and okay food drive. But her hunt drive is through the rough and will literally search until she finds what she is looking for. My male is the same and I believe this comes from the sire side (DDR/WG) as most of the progeny from that sire excels in nose work, tracking, etc.

Zefra took about 18-24 months to really settle in the house. She was always "busy" and still is sorta that way if she is not properly exercised but I don't mind it so it doesn't bother me so much.

She is a overall healthy dog and has good prelims for hips/elbows and is DM N/N by parentage.

If it wasn't for my crazy life right now, would be titled in schH and nose work. She trains in both and also does dock diving and lure coursing. She has done agility (no trials because I don't have any interest at this point) and a few other fun venues as well.












G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus

Last edited by elisabeth_00117; 09-05-2013 at 12:42 PM.
elisabeth_00117 is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
I think it's varies based on your breeder honestly. Lulu is both Czech and DDR. She gets a little nervous more than I would like. And by Nervous I mean she yawns due to stress in the car and other social situations. At home she is a low to middle drive dog thats got one **** of a ball and food drive. She doesn't have much of a prey drive but I think I under the right situation I could foster that and help it grow.

when I first was looking for a breeder, people told me that they thought the dam and sire that I have chosen may be to much for me.

I just made sure that I was very honest with the breeder about what kind of dog it is we really needed. I was blessed and Lulu is perfect for us.

I also prayed a lot lol because I'm a control freak and I wasn't able to meet lulu before the breeder delivered her to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Is the nervousness due to the breeding or is it lack of exposure or is it just the dog's personality? Do you work your dog at all or is she just a family pet companion? BTW she is beautiful
AdamGates is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member
 
elisabeth_00117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 8,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
I think it's varies based on your breeder honestly. Lulu is both Czech and DDR. She gets a little nervous more than I would like. And by Nervous I mean she yawns due to stress in the car and other social situations. At home she is a low to middle drive dog thats got one **** of a ball and food drive. She doesn't have much of a prey drive but I think I under the right situation I could foster that and help it grow.

when I first was looking for a breeder, people told me that they thought the dam and sire that I have chosen may be to much for me.

I just made sure that I was very honest with the breeder about what kind of dog it is we really needed. I was blessed and Lulu is perfect for us.

I also prayed a lot lol because I'm a control freak and I wasn't able to meet lulu before the breeder delivered her to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I would love to see a pedigree if you have one.

Also, the yawning could be a capping issues. I know some dogs who are unable to cap themselves (excitement, anxious, frustration, drive) do this and have seen it done. It was explained to me that this is a release for them, not so much "nervous" behaviour but a way to release what they are feeling. I have seen it in protection and obedience where the drive is too much to handle for the dog or the handler doesn't know how to "help the dog" and it comes out in a yawn with a little noise.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
elisabeth_00117 is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member
 
elisabeth_00117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 8,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupperLove View Post
I have a full DDR female pup as of now, and she's great! She's a ton of fun to live with. She's confident, energetic, but also has a good ability to calm down in the house for a pup!). She's a lot more mouthy than my other GSD ever was. She is very clear headed as well. As far as health goes, you need to find out what exactly your breeder is doing as far as health tests. There can be problems with health in any bloodline. Find out what it is your breeder is producing as far as working drives. The breeder I got Tinah (Tina) from has certain breedings and even particular pups from litters that need to go to working homes, and several others that do completely fine in an active family setting.

Home << Melinda at Vom Gildaf is great. She currently has a DDR litter on the ground out of Kantor and Mako. Tinah is out of Kantor and Edge. I met Melinda's dogs, and they are very fun, outgoing, and have awesome temperaments.

I watched this litter and really like them. Adorable pup!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
elisabeth_00117 is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
My female is 1/2 Czech mixed with DDR and some WG working lines.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac

She is a lot of dog.

Intense, strong willed, very biddable though, wants to interact/work with me. Can be quite pushy.

She is high drive, almost extreme and has a hard time capping herself (which is a mixture of training and genetics in my opinion). Lower thresholds and can be quite civil/sharp in her work.


I would say she has good nerve and is great with kids and people.

She has flashy obedience, amazing toy drive, and okay food drive. But her hunt drive is through the rough and will literally search until she finds what she is looking for. My male is the same and I believe this comes from the sire side (DDR/WG) as most of the progeny from that sire excels in nose work, tracking, etc.

Zefra took about 18-24 months to really settle in the house. She was always "busy" and still is sorta that way if she is not properly exercised but I don't mind it so it doesn't bother me so much.

She is a overall healthy dog and has good prelims for hips/elbows and is DM N/N by parentage.

If it wasn't for my crazy life right now, would be titled in schH and nose work. She trains in both and also does dock diving and lure coursing. She has done agility (no trials because I don't have any interest at this point) and a few other fun venues as
What do you mean by pushy? I've never had a working line before, only showlines. Which line would you recommend get for protection work and derrant? I know these two lines are slow to mature but I am willing to wait. I am just not aure if they would be too much dog for me. I can't really tell from the pictures but does she have that huge ddr/czech head?

How much exercise do they need daily? I run about 4 miles a day, 2 in the morning, 2 in the evening. Is that enough? Also, are these lines "affectionate"?
AdamGates is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome