Anyone own a Czech or DDR working line dog? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member
 
elisabeth_00117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 8,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupperLove View Post
Elizabeth, I just love Stark! Every time I see a picture of him, he reminds me so much of my dog Jackson who is also a DDR/WGSL and weighs in around 90 lbs. <3 I tend to agree, that they both look intimidating.






..... but he likes to hoard all the pink toys!
And this may also be hearsay, but I have heard that the mixing of lines can sometimes be an iffy thing to do. Jackson is not what I would consider the ideal GSD. He has a very low threshold, higher drives, high energy, and is on the fearful side which comes off as intimidating. Although I would consider him to be scared moreso than anything, I am not sure if it would be possible for anyone to get too close to me in a threatening manner without getting bit. For instance if we get charged by a dog, he puts himself between me and the dog when he is generally apprehensive of other dogs. He's an awesome pet and does great in the house. He's my <3 Maybe I put too much faith into him, but I would take him anywhere if I felt unsafe...but on the downside he does take management.

I guess if you are just looking for a good dog to have around the house who has the look and the bark, you could pretty much go to any breeder who has that look you are going for. Make sure the dogs have good temperaments and the breeder can give you in depth information on the dogs in the pedigree, and why they chose that particular breeding. And like already stated, its not so much the line as the particular dogs. So learn about the breeder's dogs first.
Your dog is gorgeous!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
elisabeth_00117 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Rinegunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 142
My dog is a ddr. His breeder says he likes them for their bone density and structure, as well as the hips. Thats what sold me, after going through the hip thing with my last gsd. This guy is built more like a dump truck. He is supposed to be medium drive but so far is nothing I cant handle. Not nearly as affectionate as my last one but very playful and protective. I think the key is just like any other line of gsd, constant work and love and they will be fine. Still a good idea to match up with a breeder that has what you are looking for.
Rinegunner is offline  
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member
 
KZoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19,159
OP if you're looking for a breeder experienced in WL and SL dogs, I'd definitely agree with the Huerta Hof suggestion. Robin's dogs are mostly German SL but she has a couple WL females that are absolutely beautiful. They DO work their dogs and Robin recently did a WL/SL cross. The pups are beautiful and maturing nicely.


My 6 month old male is DDR/Czech. He's learned to chill out a bit in the house but he's still crazy. He's learning. He "leaks" energy. If he's not allowed to be wild and crazy, he'll whine and get barky. This has diminished a great deal but it's still there. He does a lot of yawning when he's not getting his way but he's pretty confident and wants to please. I cant wait to see the adult he becomes. He also does pretty good with other animals though he does get excited and forgets his manners.

He's really a fun pup and I'd definitely go back to Weberhaus for another pup. He's healthy and has had zero problems so far. He will go and go and go if I let him energy wise.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bronson, Fl
Posts: 244
My girl is from a Czech working line and has made the transition to being a family pet very nicely. She was originally in training to be a service dog but had an issue that prevented her from completing the training. Now that we have almost eliminated that issue we are going to finish her training in the spring of 2014. In the meantime she will get her regular vocabulary and her regular treatment according to her latest schedule. Getting on a schedule and setting up a routine is the best thing you can do for you and your dog. Good luck and it is a great show too....

Wheelchair Bob
Rbeckett is offline  
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
My girl is from a Czech working line and has made the transition to being a family pet very nicely. She was originally in training to be a service dog but had an issue that prevented her from completing the training. Now that we have almost eliminated that issue we are going to finish her training in the spring of 2014. In the meantime she will get her regular vocabulary and her regular treatment according to her latest schedule. Getting on a schedule and setting up a routine is the best thing you can do for you and your dog. Good luck and it is a great show too....

Wheelchair Bob
May I ask what the issue was?
AdamGates is offline  
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,158
I hate when people say they have a pure ddr dog like it's something special. Although I'm sure there are dogs with strong influences to ddr genes but most dogs now days are all mixed. To me "pure" ddr is nothing more than a marketing ploy. I could show you a dog mixed with ddr Czech wg and tell you it's full ddr and you wouldn't even know the difference unless you had a pedigree and was well versed in the difference lines.

With that said, just go to a good breeder and tell them what you want. Within a litter there will be dogs that are super high drive and others who would be good family pets. Mine is mostly Czech with some ddr and west german mixed in. He is medium drive and settles in the house well. Absolutely fearless and high threshold. You said your older dogs weren't intimidating because they were show lines? Are you expecting your czech/ddr dog to rip a robbers heart out? Get anything working line and a dark mostly black german Shepherd should be enough to scare away anyone. If a robber sees a barking german Shepherd and still comes in, you got bigger worries and no dog trained in protection is going to be a match for a gun. Stop worrying about the lines and just go to a good breeder. Btw I wouldn't pay 8 grand for a dog. That's insane!
boomer11 is offline  
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
I hate when people say they have a pure ddr dog like it's something special. Although I'm sure there are dogs with strong influences to ddr genes but most dogs now days are all mixed. To me "pure" ddr is nothing more than a marketing ploy. I could show you a dog mixed with ddr Czech wg and tell you it's full ddr and you wouldn't even know the difference unless you had a pedigree and was well versed in the difference lines.

With that said, just go to a good breeder and tell them what you want. Within a litter there will be dogs that are super high drive and others who would be good family pets. Mine is mostly Czech with some ddr and west german mixed in. He is medium drive and settles in the house well. Absolutely fearless and high threshold. You said your older dogs weren't intimidating because they were show lines? Are you expecting your czech/ddr dog to rip a robbers heart out? Get anything working line and a dark mostly black german Shepherd should be enough to scare away anyone. If a robber sees a barking german Shepherd and still comes in, you got bigger worries and no dog trained in protection is going to be a match for a gun. Stop worrying about the lines and just go to a good breeder. Btw I wouldn't pay 8 grand for a dog. That's insane!
LOL no I do not expect the czech/ddr dog to rip a robbers heart out. What I meant when I was talking about my earlier dogs was that a stranger could sneak up on my dogs and they wouldn't even react at all. Basically they weren't environmentally aware of anything. There was an incident where my security cameras outside my home caught a burglar jumping the fence and my dogs DIDN't even bark or react. They just looked at him and went back to sleep.

So I should look into getting a black, black sable or bicolor shepherd? Yeah 8 grand for a puppy is insane. I actually talked to that breeder and they said his dogs are pure ddr with frozen semen....

Also "generally" are czechs more high strung than ddr?
AdamGates is offline  
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,497
Our boy’s Dam came over from Czechoslovakia and whelped here in the US. He is out of Navar Hronovsky Pramen CMKU (Pluto z Pohranicni Straze CMKU V Kami Hronovsky Pramen CMKU) and Brta Tomuv Sen CZR (Tom z Pohranicni CMKU V Daja z Hundorfu CMKU) So does this mean he is full Czech? Sorry, don't know much about bloodlines.

Anyway…. he is our 4th GSD and has the biggest, funniest personality out of all of them! This is a dog who loves life large and wants to experience EVERYTHING at full tilt! Tremendous drive when working, but able to just lay in the house too. But then he gets antsy and starts to “talk” and we have to go out and play Frisbee several times per day! Love kids, he is a “presenter” even if you’ve been gone only 15 minutes (LOL), not interested in making friends with strangers but doesn’t care if they pet him. Loves to climb up on our lap and bury his head under our arm! If any of “HIS” people come to the house, his antics to greet them are hysterical! He rides our jet ski with my husband at 35 mph, dock dives, tubes, loves to catch his chuck-it Frisbee in the air,and drools out the window when we pull up to the drive up at the bank where the tellers give him cookies ! I would have another one like him in a second!
Attachment 108466
Attachment 108474
Attachment 108482
Good luck in your search! There are some very qualified people here that can help you!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 07-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Momto2GSDs is offline  
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,152
My dog is Czech x Czech/DDR. Im a first time owner and we do great together. Im guessing shes medium drive? I hear about problems with high drive dogs and we dont have those. She does great at shutzhund prey work, and has alot of focus, things people say are distractions like group classes and dog parks actually make her focus on me more. Shwe has never met a person she didnt like, but if you tried walking into the backyard she would alert and bark like mad facing you with ears and tail up, and shes 9 months. The main bad thing she does is grab small items and take them into the backyard, she tears paper towels into shreds. She also gets along with all dogs, she doesnt shy away but greets with ears down/submission.

Last edited by volcano; 09-06-2013 at 12:51 AM.
volcano is offline  
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Our boy’s Dam came over from Czechoslovakia and whelped here in the US. He is out of Navar Hronovsky Pramen CMKU (Pluto z Pohranicni Straze CMKU V Kami Hronovsky Pramen CMKU) and Brta Tomuv Sen CZR (Tom z Pohranicni CMKU V Daja z Hundorfu CMKU) So does this mean he is full Czech? Sorry, don't know much about bloodlines.

Anyway…. he is our 4th GSD and has the biggest, funniest personality out of all of them! This is a dog who loves life large and wants to experience EVERYTHING at full tilt! Tremendous drive when working, but able to just lay in the house too. But then he gets antsy and starts to “talk” and we have to go out and play Frisbee several times per day! Love kids, he is a “presenter” even if you’ve been gone only 15 minutes (LOL), not interested in making friends with strangers but doesn’t care if they pet him. Loves to climb up on our lap and bury his head under our arm! If any of “HIS” people come to the house, his antics to greet them are hysterical! He rides our jet ski with my husband at 35 mph, dock dives, tubes, loves to catch his chuck-it Frisbee in the air,and drools out the window when we pull up to the drive up at the bank where the tellers give him cookies ! I would have another one like him in a second!
Attachment 108466
Attachment 108474
Attachment 108482
Good luck in your search! There are some very qualified people here that can help you!
Moms
Was he harder to handle as a puppy than your other GSDs?
AdamGates is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome