Anyone own a Czech or DDR working line dog? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Master Member

I work her. She goes into training, we go to the dog park every day and she still yawns in the car. She is improving now, she used to throw up in the car, and she used to defecate in the car. She will do rally she really likes doing the agility courses the tunnels are her favorite,. Honestly I'm not sure if it's in her breeding or if it's just her personality. She get the long with all dogs even though she's been attacked on a number of occasions. her response is always to come to me she doesn't Yelp or cry or scream or have any negative impact because of it, she just acts like, "okay you're not a friendly dog I'm going back to my mom."

She's also not quite a year yet. Her birthday is on the 13th of September so we're still working on it. I take her to as many places as I can to make sure that she is well socialized and adjusted. I have read though that DDR / Czech dogs can be a little nervous. I don't know what it takes for that but it is what I have read.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

The questions you are asking could be filled with any sort of GSD or dog for that matter.

And yes, even a showline. My showline/working line male would fit the bill to your questions. He shares the same DDR/WG working line father but his mother is a mixture of Canadian/West German showlines.

HE is more of a deterrent than my 60lbs working dog.

If you are looking to just have a family companion and dabble in sport work then I would recommend you just find a good breeder in your area who can set you up with the right dog/REGARDLESS of lines.

Every dog is so different, so generalizing how my dog is, won't help you. You need to possibly get around these dogs/lines to understand a overall picture before settling on one line or the other in my opinion. Go out, see which dogs you like, talk to the owners/handlers/breeders, etc. THAT is how you start to form an opinion on these dogs/lines.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

I do. He was a buzzsaw as a puppy, but has now turned into the most wonderful pet ever.
If you like those lines, make sure you go to a knowledgeable breeder and have her select your puppy. You won't be sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
The questions you are asking could be filled with any sort of GSD or dog for that matter.

And yes, even a showline. My showline/working line male would fit the bill to your questions. He shares the same DDR/WG working line father but his mother is a mixture of Canadian/West German showlines.

HE is more of a deterrent than my 60lbs working dog.

If you are looking to just have a family companion and dabble in sport work then I would recommend you just find a good breeder in your area who can set you up with the right dog/REGARDLESS of lines.

Every dog is so different, so generalizing how my dog is, won't help you. You need to possibly get around these dogs/lines to understand a overall picture before settling on one line or the other in my opinion. Go out, see which dogs you like, talk to the owners/handlers/breeders, etc. THAT is how you start to form an opinion on these dogs/lines.
Your dog looks amazingly awesome. Well I read that if you get a GSD for sport than it is not suitable for protection work. Is that true? That is why I am looking into DDR and Czech lines because I was told that they were bred to do protection work and not sport. There is a couple I know that goes to the same dog park as I do that owns a Czech German Shepherd that was trained as an Executive Protection Dog and I really liked his temperament and looks but the owner told me that the breeder's puppies go for around $8000. I've never spent more than a $1500 on a dog in my life.

Is it possible for me to ask you where you got your working/showline dog from? All my past GSDs weren't very good deterrents, a trainer told me that they lacked civil drive since they were show lines.

Last edited by AdamGates; 09-05-2013 at 01:17 PM.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

I highly suggest you make some contacts with a local schH club or PSA club.

By the sounds of your posts (please do not take any offense) you are going by a lot of "hear-say" and internet fotter.

Go to the source.

Get around people who are doing protection work - it's A LOT of time, money and dedication to get a dog trained in this area and a liability if not done properly -

I am in Canada and would not recommend my breeder, TBH.

One person who I would recommend you contact and is a member here is Robin Herta. She is very widely respected and her dogs speak for themselves!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

XX z Weberhaus
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I highly suggest you make some contacts with a local schH club or PSA club.

By the sounds of your posts (please do not take any offense) you are going by a lot of "hear-say" and internet fotter.

Go to the source.

Get around people who are doing protection work - it's A LOT of time, money and dedication to get a dog trained in this area and a liability if not done properly -

I am in Canada and would not recommend my breeder, TBH.

One person who I would recommend you contact and is a member here is Robin Herta. She is very widely respected and her dogs speak for themselves!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds
Ok thank you. Should I contact breeders too? I am in Austin, Texas. Do you know of any breeders that owns or has experience with both lines that I can contact in additional to the clubs around here?
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Knighted Member

Contact Dave Kroyer (Austin) and visit his facility.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Master Member

I have said this before, but IMO, the majority of GSDs sold as DDR or Czech have little in common with the original DDR/Czech dogs such as the former Pohranici Straze kennel/lines. They have been diluted and their appeal is their bone and pigment. They were originally known for being very aggressive, dominant and independent, and not necessarily that prey driven. I don't buy that they take longer to mature. I'd argue that people are waiting to see more prey drive from these lines and it often isn't there to the degree of an extreme West German workingline dog's prey drive. The old lines are gone and now you often have these lines that are marketed as something they are not. There are some people still breeding solid Czech lines, but even kennels like Eurosport k-9 in Slovakia crossbreed with West German working lines to get a sportier dog.
The problem with training a dog in sport and then converting it to a protection dog, is that you make it harder for the dog to truely protect because there is so much early emphasis/training on obedience at an early age and the dog learns to see the helper as a someone to play a game with rather than a real threat. It really depends on the genetics of the dog. But most people into protection sports want to start training their dog from a young puppy, especially introducing rag work, tug, etc.
Also, a lot of the West German working lines have what Helmut Raiser calls hypertrophic prey drive, which is lacking in other aspects of aggression.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Elite Member

Elizabeth, I just love Stark! Every time I see a picture of him, he reminds me so much of my dog Jackson who is also a DDR/WGSL and weighs in around 90 lbs. <3 I tend to agree, that they both look intimidating.

..... but he likes to hoard all the pink toys!
And this may also be hearsay, but I have heard that the mixing of lines can sometimes be an iffy thing to do. Jackson is not what I would consider the ideal GSD. He has a very low threshold, higher drives, high energy, and is on the fearful side which comes off as intimidating. Although I would consider him to be scared moreso than anything, I am not sure if it would be possible for anyone to get too close to me in a threatening manner without getting bit. For instance if we get charged by a dog, he puts himself between me and the dog when he is generally apprehensive of other dogs. He's an awesome pet and does great in the house. He's my <3 Maybe I put too much faith into him, but I would take him anywhere if I felt unsafe...but on the downside he does take management.

I guess if you are just looking for a good dog to have around the house who has the look and the bark, you could pretty much go to any breeder who has that look you are going for. Make sure the dogs have good temperaments and the breeder can give you in depth information on the dogs in the pedigree, and why they chose that particular breeding. And like already stated, its not so much the line as the particular dogs. So learn about the breeder's dogs first.

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
I have said this before, but IMO, the majority of GSDs sold as DDR or Czech have little in common with the original DDR/Czech dogs such as the former Pohranici Straze kennel/lines. They have been diluted and their appeal is their bone and pigment. They were originally known for being very aggressive, dominant and independent, and not necessarily that prey driven. I don't buy that they take longer to mature. I'd argue that people are waiting to see more prey drive from these lines and it often isn't there to the degree of an extreme West German workingline dog's prey drive. The old lines are gone and now you often have these lines that are marketed as something they are not. There are some people still breeding solid Czech lines, but even kennels like Eurosport k-9 in Slovakia crossbreed with West German working lines to get a sportier dog.
The problem with training a dog in sport and then converting it to a protection dog, is that you make it harder for the dog to truely protect because there is so much early emphasis/training on obedience at an early age and the dog learns to see the helper as a someone to play a game with rather than a real threat. It really depends on the genetics of the dog. But most people into protection sports want to start training their dog from a young puppy, especially introducing rag work, tug, etc.
Also, a lot of the West German working lines have what Helmut Raiser calls hypertrophic prey drive, which is lacking in other aspects of aggression.
I tend to agree with your opinion.

Although my dog is a mix of lines, I have been told by respected people in the GSD world that she resembles her mother line almost to a "T". Which, I tend to enjoy.

I do however, for sport, tend to like the combo of the WG/Czech pedigrees **** BUT **** to me, this is not what the GSD should be - a sport dog - it should be a everything dog, capable of so much more - including real work such as police/military/family guardian/live stock guardian/herding dog/etc.

XX z Weberhaus

Last edited by elisabeth_00117; 09-05-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page