"I want a dark/black sable DDR" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"I want a dark/black sable DDR"

Is it just me, or is this kind of the new fad in GSDs? It used to be that everybody wanted a big black and red, but now it seems like it's swinging towards the dark and black sables? Or am I just now noticing because, uh, that's what I ended up with?

I'm just noticing a lot of people showing up saying they want a "darksableDDRCzechmale" but when you press a little more they don't really know anything about them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

I noticed this too.

I also have to laugh at this because I have been contacting breeders (well known ones at that) and after we talk about temperament, nerve, my goals with the dog, etc.. they ask if I have a colour preference.

My answer - don't care what colour he/she is as long as they are within standard.

The response I get from said breeders - really? Are you sure?

Hahaha..

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Knighted Member

I noticed the same thing, I just hope that they know what they are doing. I for one love the look of black and red gsds.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Crowned Member

I think Sables are becoming more and more popular these days (how could they not, they are just simply the most stunning! ). 12 years ago I had no idea what a Sable was, when my friend bought her Sable puppy back then I wanted to tell her they sold her a mix.

Carolina Johnson

post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I noticed this too.

I also have to laugh at this because I have been contacting breeders (well known ones at that) and after we talk about temperament, nerve, my goals with the dog, etc.. they ask if I have a colour preference.

My answer - don't care what colour he/she is as long as they are within standard.

The response I get from said breeders - really? Are you sure?

Hahaha..

Really???? I don't think I've ever heard Dennis ask a buyer if they have a color preference.

Carolina Johnson

post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie/Zeus View Post
I noticed the same thing, I just hope that they know what they are doing. I for one love the look of black and red gsds.
I've noticed the recent trend too, but this board is so heavily favored towards workling lines that it's not really too surprising. Not saying anything is wrong with that though.

If they don't completely know what they're doing, hopefully they at least go with a breeder that does.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Is it just me, or is this kind of the new fad in GSDs? It used to be that everybody wanted a big black and red, but now it seems like it's swinging towards the dark and black sables? Or am I just now noticing because, uh, that's what I ended up with?

I'm just noticing a lot of people showing up saying they want a "darksableDDRCzechmale" but when you press a little more they don't really know anything about them?
Yes, I see it as well. And then they get a beautiful, hunky dark sable, and a few weeks later the "inappropriate aggression" threads start. My dog barks at other dogs, my dog growled at me, my dog lunges at.....

THEN you get everybody saying find a behaviorist, check his thyroid, etc.

----Mary
von den Thermalquellen

-and-
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

This has been going on long enough to see a lot of them in shelters/rescue, so it's been...a while now - going on a couple of years maybe?

post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
This has been going on long enough to see a lot of them in shelters/rescue, so it's been...a while now - going on a couple of years maybe?
Yep, my shelter gets a few. There was recently a beautiful LH Sable boy. Now we we have a beautiful light sable boy. And we have a 3 month old sable pup that I wanted really bad.

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

I've noticed this too. People have asked me about it personally because they see Pan or Boy and assume they are DDRs because they are darker sables and Boy has a nice head. Then I have to try to explain the differences in lines but NOT over-generalize and always qualify everything with it being "just my opinion or preference". So many people ask me why I DIDNT get a DDR dog and it's curious to me how much weight my response seems to carry. I don't want anyone deciding to get this dog or that based on *my* choices.

I do have a color preference - really who doesn't? - but it's not a main priority. When I got Pan it was between him (sable) and a black and tan boy. I believe I ended up with Pan because I said I would be happy with a smaller more compact male (seems everyone wants giant males too) and Pan is fairly small, about 10lbs lighter at the moment than the other puppy that would have been a match for me. I was honest and said I prefer a sable because I feel they are easier to show than solid black or bi-color but that is not what narrowed the choices or ultimately made the decision.

Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page