how cold is too cold?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

how cold is too cold??

We're expecting a cold snap here in the Puget Sound area of the Pacific NW starting tomorrow. Day time highs are not forecast to be above freezing until late next week. Over night lows down to 14 degrees fahrenheit. Given these conditions should I limit the time my boys are outside? They are both healthy and 11 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Re: how cold is too cold??

Nope, cold won't bother them at all. They'll probably love it!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

One of my dogs loves the cold, he loves to be buried in snow. The other doesn't like the cold, or being wet I let them tell me when they need in. I still try to err on the side of caution and limit it to at the most 20 minute intervals. Let's face it, I'm standing out there with them, interacting with them and if I'm cold, playtime is cut short. Now if we dip down to -10C or below, then it's real short time out there, especially if it's midnight and I'm in a robe and slippers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

For Ekko it seems that under 20 degrees F is too cold for him. We are out there not even for 2 minutes and he is walking lifting his paws really high. So he doesn't play outside when it's this cold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 PM

Good question. I have asked this before and I got hate messages for having my dog in the cold. We live in Mount Vernon and its cold here already but our dog loves it! I hope we get snow!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 02:38 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Konas-dadGood question. I have asked this before and I got hate messages for having my dog in the cold. We live in Mount Vernon and its cold here already but our dog loves it! I hope we get snow!
Sorry to hear that! The problem often is that people project their own feelings and emotions onto their dogs, and other people dogs. Because THEY don't like being outside when it is cold, they think the same applies to people's dogs. I can see that some short-haired breeds would not tolerate much cold, but GSDs, and other breeds with undercoats LOVE it!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

If it's really cold I have to bundle up for the morning mile. and Jolene gets really JAZZED up and wants to run and act up. And my bones are snapping and creaking and complaining!!!

Powell
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Nah, the weather we get here will be fine. East of the Cascades will be a lot colder. But our weather will be nice and brisk for the kids. Make sure they drink enough water, and be sure to rinse off their feet if neighbors use salt on their walkways.

I have jackets for my senior and my pup that has short thin fur, but my GSD just lies in the front yard and watches the snow fall. He has since he was a puppy. He'd get buried in snow if I let him. I think he's part malamute.

Most of all, if these winds keep up, go find your flash lights and candles now. The lights have been flickering at my house all afternoon.

(Are you prepared for another week without electricity? )

In fact, I should probably get off the computer, eh? Just what I don't need -- a power surge to fry it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Crowned Member

i guess it would be an individaul thing as far as tolerating the cold.

my senior has problems anything under15-20 degrees. so we limit the length of time per trips outside. he can go 10-15 minutes and starts doing funky things with his back legs, even with boots and coat on.

as far as the younger dogs, they are so busy running and playing in the snow they really don't mind it. although i would also limit their exposure if it was 0 degrees or below.

debbie

url
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

Our vet told us to gage the weather as follows - if it's too cold for you, it's too cold for your dog. However, DH and I like cold weather so different strokes for different folks. Unless it is below zero I take Sean out for walks. It's the ice and salt on the streets that he has the most trouble with and then I limit where we walk.

Sean: Adopted July 1999
Neely: Adopted May 2005, LH Tabby/Tortie
Gizmo: Bi-color Persian 2009
Neeko: Purr-fect Persian Cat (3/91 - 1/05)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page