Do male GSDs have thicker coats? (esp. long-hair) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Do male GSDs have thicker coats? (esp. long-hair)

Well, that's pretty much the question. I was just curious whether male GSDs tend to have thicker/longer or plusher coats than females? I'm especially thinking of long-coated GSDs as maybe it would be more noticeable with them. I've been looking at photos of long-coated Shepherds and it seemed like the males I saw had longer or thicker fur, but it could have been just the specific dogs I happened to look at...

I was thinking about that because I know in some other breeds (actually dogs and cats, come to think of it) the males tend to have longer or thicker coats. Collies are one breed that comes to mind... So I was wondering if it was true in German Shepherds as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Do male GSDs have thicker coats? (esp. long-hair)

No idea about long coats, but just based on the GSDs we've had come through here, I haven't really found the boys to have thicker coats. Definitely not the case between Leo and Grace - she's way hairier even though both conventional stock coats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know about GSD, but according to my friend, a collie breeder, male collies do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe it's just that males are bigger and so their coats LOOK longer?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Hey there,

I've had several coaties in the past 20+ years, but mostly boys. They all had huge and dense gogeous coats. Let's see how Ms Molly (currently 10 wks old) develops.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chicagocanine.... but it could have been just the specific dogs I happened to look at...

My 10 yo female is has a "regular" stock coat. But I have NEVER seen another GSD or either sex that has a thicker coat. It is all I can do to find skin!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is the line they are from and the environmental temp. But males seem to have the neck ruff that appears to give a thicker coat appearance. Though I don't have any males. Maybe a breeder would weigh in and show sib pics and the differences they may or may not have.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page