Longcoats - hair care questions!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Longcoats - hair care questions!!

Ok, being new to long coats I have some basic grooming questions.

What do you use for shampoo and conditioner? Same as you would for a stock coat or do you use something to make the hair softer or silkier?

How often do you brush them as young pups (before their adult coat comes in) and then as adults (with their final coat)?

I'm guessing a long toothed comb is a must have for these guys. Anything else? I have the dog dryer already.

Any places that frequently mat that I should watch out for?

Does anyone clean the underside of their longcoat - remove the hair inside the back legs and such?

Any other grooming tips would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Longcoats - hair care questions!!

I am not a big bather of dogs. They get a good shampoo twice a year, but they get rinsed or hosed down more often. I just use a nice mild (natural) shampoo, no cream rinse.

My three coats have different types of coat so it depends on the coat, DeeDee will get tangles on her hindquarters if I don't brush often enough, Lakota will get tangles behind his ears from itching and his belly and hind quaters if I don't brush often enough, Cheyenne's tail is usually the place I have to spend the most time on.

The only thing I will trim and it depends on the year is the hair between the toes.

So keeping up on the brushing is important, sometimes it is just a quick grush through other times (blowing Coat) it takes more time.

I like to get my youngs pups use to being brushed, so I do even a min or two every day.

The one thing you will notice with most cost (or what I have seen) is they are about 4 or so before you really get the final results of the coat and even there there can be more changes. Cheyennes coat length is still changing.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Lauri!
I love grooming those long coats!
Betty (wicked1996) big boys are the best! And Frieda too, of coarse.
Haven't seen them in a long time though. We really miss her kitty
too.
What do you use for shampoo and conditioner? Same as you would for a stock coat or do you use something to make the hair softer or silkier?
Someone on a Shih Tzu board just recommended some great stuff to me.
It's called Earth Bath
And it has Oatmeal & Alhoe in it. I haven't used it on DaKota yet.
But I do really like the results so far on the Shih Tzu & pug.
They also have an oatmeal condtioner I use too.

How often do you brush them as young pups (before their adult coat comes in) and then as adults (with their final coat)?
I would brush & comb often, just to get them use to being brush &
combed.

I'm guessing a long toothed comb is a must have for these guys. Anything else? I have the dog dryer already.
I really like using a dematting comb on thick heavy coats & double coats. It catches alot of dead undercoat & matts that you don't see.

Any places that frequently mat that I should watch out for?
Ears, elbows & the butt. to me, ththose places tend to matt the quickest.

Does anyone clean the underside of their longcoat - remove the hair inside the back legs and such?
I like cleaning out the undercarrage. It can get so knotted & dirty under there.
I also like doing this with client's dogs that only come in occasionaly.
It thins out the skirting back there & doesn't seem to knot up so quickly.

Any other grooming tips would be greatly appreciated!!

~Saving just one
will not change the
world, but surely will
change the world
for that dog~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

My LC Kacie(she isn't as long as some) is much more work than a stock coat to keep up with. Other than when it is muddy out I have to hose her bottom half down in the bathtub. I don't use anything but water, and my awesome hand held shower thingy. Invest in one of those if you don't have one now. They are easy to install and are priceless! I clipped her foot fuzz about three weeks ago, otherwise she will carry in snowballs, and I'm sure it hurts her to walk on frozen snow...
I use a rake on all dogs, (Clover was a double coated Golden/Border and I could get about three puppies worth of fur everytime I brushed her), have a bristle and pin brush as well. But just a good brushing is all that so far is needed, especially when on a RAW diet. I just gave my dogs some rasberries(bhlllllllehhhhphhhh's) and my mouth did have some fur from Kace, but neither shed like the other GSD's I am around. Not a bit of oder at all, I love to breathe them in!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

too late to edit: I meant to say she isn't much more work...my fingers were typing faster than my laptop could keep up with!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

As was said, it depends on the indivuidual coat. I have treated all of my long coats exactly the same as my "regular" coats as far as bathing. 2 of mine had no matting issues. The famale would get them behind her ears. (They were all long coats (WITH an undercoat.) but they had different coats from each other She also got REALLY long hair on the bottoms of her feet, between her toes and on the backs of her hind legs from the foot to the hock. I either cut it off with the scissors or shaved it so it was the length of a "regular coated" dogs coat.

The only "tools" I used were a clicker bruch and a "regular" comb.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Elite Member

I have a rake that i bought for less than 5 dollars at walmart, and that's all i've needed so far... that and a few really absorbent towels. I brush Riley about 3-4 times a week for as long as she will let me. She hasn't blown her coat yet, but it helped as she was losing the puppy fuzz and growing her grown up coat.

I think the only "special" equipment I would recommend is a really good vacuum! (we just got a carpet deep cleaner on amazon today for super cheap with free shipping... yay!) but i'm sure ANY GSD owner- long coat or not is used to that!!

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 PM

Have always had long coats so don't know the difference!!

The dryer, which you have, is my life saver. I don't know how I ever managed without it! It is great for just blowing out all the loose hair and with wet, sandy dogs it's a must.

An undercoat rake is also a great investment. I just use the rake and a pin brush.

I try and give them a quick brush everyday, it stops the coat from ever getting matted.

Thorai 14/04/05
Chara 26/09/06
Booda 01/03/03-10/15/08 (we miss u my beautiful boo)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Annemarie
I try and give them a quick brush everyday, it stops the coat from ever getting matted.
Exactly. I have no experience with other GSD, but I brush Wolf (LC + undercoat) with a furminator every night-thoroughly but different areas. It's part of the evening routine. There are really not any mats to speak of. He gets a professional grooming every 3-4 months.

It's a pleasure to take care of him.

MJ
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

My guy doesnt get any special treatment. He gets brushed and thats it. His coat is gorgeous all on his own, doesnt matt. Enjoy his fluffiness!

Human owner to:
Prinz-Gsd -RIP 8/3/12 Never long enough....
Ava-Rescue
Echo-Rescue GSD/Husky
Barnaby-Holland Lop

Maureen

White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page