Nut Case? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Nut Case?

It is about time to schedule Boss to be neutered. As with any surgery there is an apprehension over things that can go wrong but the main reason I have been postponing scheduling the appointment is more due to a "loss of innocence". If I had to pick one word to describe Boss I would use the word happy. He has never had anything "bad" happen to him. Every dog he has met is friendly and plays with him, every person he has met is nice and pets him, never been sick, basically life has been just one big party to him. I can't help but picture him waking up after surgery in a strange place, not feeling well, parts missing, confused and thinking "holy crap, what the heck happened?". I cannot even imagine how parents can break it to innocent young kids that there is no santa claus or that bad things happen to good people, etc. Anyway, I was just wondering if others out there have felt this or if, no pun intended, I am the only nut case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Nut Case?

He's a dog. He's going to wake up thinking that that toilet water he drank must have been a doozy, he'll be groggy for the day and then he'll shake it off and before you know it he'll be pestering you for food and treats and pushing toys into your lap. Remember that the testosterone will still be in his system for a few months, gradually waning, so he's not going to wake up sobbing into a box of tissues thinking about Steve and Jane breaking up on the latest soap opera. He can STILL impregnate a dog up to a few weeks after this surgery, btw.

So don't worry, he won't notice a difference. Dogs really aren't self-aware like we are. We wake up and notice we're missing a ball or a boob but dogs tend to not even notice a leg taken off and carry on like nothing happened.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

why are you going to have him neutered????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMHe's a dog. He's going to wake up thinking that that toilet water he drank must have been a doozy, he'll be groggy for the day and then he'll shake it off and before you know it he'll be pestering you for food and treats and pushing toys into your lap. Remember that the testosterone will still be in his system for a few months, gradually waning, so he's not going to wake up sobbing into a box of tissues thinking about Steve and Jane breaking up on the latest soap opera. He can STILL impregnate a dog up to a few weeks after this surgery, btw.

So don't worry, he won't notice a difference. Dogs really aren't self-aware like we are. We wake up and notice we're missing a ball or a boob but dogs tend to not even notice a leg taken off and carry on like nothing happened.
you don't think a dog notices his leg is missing??? how do you know that????
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

Speaking of missing legs, my friend's boxer lost a leg, we all thought that life for him as we all knew it was over, in the beginning he was awkward and everyone had to take very serious care and attention with him, three years later, he acts as if he still has it. I think humans tend to dwell on the fact they lost something, I guess animals in general do not dwell at all or NOT that long at all and they get on with life for life it still yet to be had.

When ours was neutered were a nutcase as well, but it had to be done as one of his guys was still up in his stomach, so I guess you could say he had a spay and a neuter. We were scared for him, but we took comfort in the fact that our vet is excellent. And she took excellent care of him. So you not alone with the worries.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to doggonefool

I've had 3 males neutered personally and adopted 2 that were already neutered. The three that I took 'for the ride' had very little down time and it didn't seem to change their attitudes or drives at all. Loki is the most happy go lucky pup that I've ever had and he was near feral when he got neutered and rescued. I think that there are so many dogs in need that I wouldn't want to add to that especially if I don't know anything about breeding...just my opinion.

Carol, the Foster Failure
My Pack
BSD Ranger (4/2001), A.Husky Loki (12/2007), A.Husky Jukka (12/2007), GSD River (8/2006?)
Rainbow Bridge: Whimsey(4/2004-7/7/2008), Sparkie(6/1990-8/2005), Draco(10/1989-11/2004) Smokie(3/1997-7/2003)
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

*I* am always a nutcase when my kids go in for surgery. I worry about all the risks of surgery and anesthesia. The dogs? They're fine. They go into the vet's office, thinking they're just in to visit their friends (I've socialized them by dropping by the vet's office just to visit and get a treat frequently when they're pups. If you haven't done this already, do it once or twice.). Or maybe, at worst, a toenail trim.

Ok, they hate toenail trims.

Frankly, when they wake up after surgery, I think they're relieved to be released to me without having their toenails cut.

Camper felt icky for a couple days, from the anesthesia. My other kids were raring to go by the next morning. My current pup came home from her spay 10 days ago stoned on morphine. She slept all night, and woke up ready to wrestle with her 85 lb adult GSD brother. She literally didn't miss a beat.

The worst part for her was having to be calm for a few days, which meant being crated because she and Camper would have ripped her incision wide open. She's pretty much healed already, and they've been back to playing.

We'll hold your hand while Boss is in surgery. Start a thread and let us know when he's going in, when he comes out and how he's doing. You'll be the one that needs some extra TLC. HE will do great.

And my dogs' personalities never changed one bit.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMHe's a dog. He's going to wake up thinking that that toilet water he drank must have been a doozy, he'll be groggy for the day and then he'll shake it off and before you know it he'll be pestering you for food and treats and pushing toys into your lap.

I sometimes use Rescue remedy to keep them quiet after the surgery- it is a n herbal remedy that is proven effective on dogs, cats and people too

Oh man Diana you made me laugh OUT LOUD there -

I guess I have to add in this I have been in the ER and surgical rooms for MANY MANY spays and NEUTERS and when the come out (generally ) they are EXACTLY like you just described.. WOAH WHAT THE &*%$ just happened- ooh a chicken!

OK??
Honestly please do not burden yourself that you are bringing your pup in to be tortured and stripped of his fur.... he will be handles with love and compassion by techs and vets that do this all day in and out - and love to wake up to go to work the next day to do more- Trust me-
He will be in great hands and the earlier you have the procedure done the less time it takes for them to get over it....you're going to have a tough time keeping him quiet after the surgery....trust me.

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggiedad
Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMHe's a dog. He's going to wake up thinking that that toilet water he drank must have been a doozy, he'll be groggy for the day and then he'll shake it off and before you know it he'll be pestering you for food and treats and pushing toys into your lap. Remember that the testosterone will still be in his system for a few months, gradually waning, so he's not going to wake up sobbing into a box of tissues thinking about Steve and Jane breaking up on the latest soap opera. He can STILL impregnate a dog up to a few weeks after this surgery, btw.

you don't think a dog notices his leg is missing??? how do you know that????

Because they adapt so much more quickly than we EVER will.......Dogs are some of THE most amazing creatures God ever thought to create. They can endure enormous pain and trauma and keep on going like nothing is wrong- run with three legs and keep up with their four legged counterparts..... and never bat a paw at it either!!!!!!!!!
DOGS RULE!!!!!!

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

Exacxtly they go for a nice ride go to sleep for a while and wake up and some don't know the difference. They wonder why their owner is making such a big deal and in a few weeks they are back to the same old dog that just had his xxxx chop off. We seem to think to much into it than we should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page