Annual Vaccinatons - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Annual Vaccinatons

Hi
I know we must get the annual Rabies shot. However I didnt think all of the other shots were necessary every year and can possible harm the dog. I thought once you get the dog the first set of shots ( Parvo, distemper, etc) that it stays with them.

I just started working for a vet that does all the vaccs annually even on older dogs. I dont believe in this. I feel that it is a way to get them in to make $$

Now that being said I do believe it is important for puppies and young dogs to complete the 1st cycle as stated above.

What is everyones thought?

Melissa....Mom to

Harley-GSD
Beemer-Pineapple Conure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Annual Vaccinatons

The first thing I would do is double check whether your county is required to give the 1 year or 3 year rabies vax. Do not ask your vet, call your county.

It looks like it might have changed in 2006, although your vet might be staying with more frequent (and unnecessary vaccinations): http://tinyurl.com/5sb8sj http://tinyurl.com/5sb8sj

Quote:
Quote: Three-year Rabies Vaccinations for Dogs and Cats (updated 01/06) The Rabies Advisory Committee adopts the recommendation of the National Association of Public Health Veterinarians’ Compendium of Animal Rabies Control, 2006 in regard to 3-year rabies vaccines for dogs and cats:

"Vaccines used in state and local rabies control programs should have a 3-yr duration of immunity. This constitutes the most effective method of increasing the proportion of immunized dogs and cats in any population.”

Additionally, the Rabies Advisory Committee considers animals vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian using a USDA-approved triennial vaccine as directed as currently vaccinated for the entire
3-year period. Local governments cannot mandate revaccination of currently vaccinated animals except in instances involving post-exposure booster for rabies (Florida Statutes (F.S.) 828.30)
I agree with you, annual vaccinations for any dog, particularly for seniors, are dangerous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:02 PM

I agree about vaccinations: I do get the rabies every 3 years but in spite of my vet's insistence (and treating me like a criminal!), I refuse to get the other vaccinations for my senior dog or for my cats and if I do get the rabies this year ( I haven't decided yet), it will be their last one. But even with the rabies, I believe you can have them take blood titres instead; I think I remember that Bow Wow Meow (on this forum) said that her cat's levels of the rabies vaccine were so much higher than they needed to be even many years after her last vaccine. So not vaccinating not really a problem as far as protecting your dog or others.

Plus, many studies have shown than vaccinosis and cancers forming at the site of injection are far more dangerous to an animal's health than going unvaccinated.

I think that most vets ( in my experience) are not really up on the new research on these issues and they may genuinely believe it's essential to vaccinate. It's what they were taught in school and they're not keeping up with the new trends. Some are, but as an example, my vet had never even HEARD of feeding raw and acted like I was some kind of tinfoil-hat-wearing-nutcase for feeding raw. So we have to educate ourselves about all this stuff!

Lizzie and the rescue crew:
Argo, rescued GSD and champion handsome-pants
Mimi, tuxedo cat extraordinaire
Portia, tabby cat savant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Knighted Member

My seniors have not had their vaccinations in a couple years besides rabies, nor have my strictly indoor cats. I have done quite a bit of reading that says it isn't always necessary. My problem is that eventually I would like to adopt a GSD (more than likely from a rescue) and they always have on the application if the pets are up-to-date on their shots. It's not that I am neglectful or anything like that, but I just think in some cases they do more harm than good once an animal reaches a certain age. I'm not sure how to bypass that requirement because they may not agree.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 PM
dOg
Elite Member

You can google
Vaccines site: https://www.germanshepherds.com

<span style="color: #3333FF">This one was searching word 'vaccinosis'</span>

Anyways, it's a much more efficient search engine that the Search function built in here. As you can see, it's been discussed in detail,
often.

Her in MI, the law only requires rabies every 3 years. New studies suggest titres may indicate safe levels for much longer.

The vets learn from books published by big pharma, and thus many
are completely brain washed. But it's your dog, and your wallet, so
don't feel bad if you have to tell them to pound sand!

I lost one to vaccinosis, so have grown a very thick skin to their babble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: IlovealldogsMy seniors have not had their vaccinations in a couple years besides rabies, nor have my strictly indoor cats. I have done quite a bit of reading that says it isn't always necessary. My problem is that eventually I would like to adopt a GSD (more than likely from a rescue) and they always have on the application if the pets are up-to-date on their shots. It's not that I am neglectful or anything like that, but I just think in some cases they do more harm than good once an animal reaches a certain age. I'm not sure how to bypass that requirement because they may not agree.
Well, the recommendation for shots is every 3 years (and that's conservative), so if you are adopting soon, then, yes, they are up to date. The other answer that you can give is that your pets are up to date according to the vaccine schedule that you and your vet have agreed upon, the schedule that best compliments the health of your pets.

How does that sound?

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dOg....I lost one to vaccinosis....

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:I know we must get the annual Rabies shot.
FL law is rabies every 3 years so it is <u>your</u> vet's choice to go with the annual. Out of 4 dogs I have two that are getting ready to get their last rabies vac. -- one is 8 and the other is 6. No rabies shots for my pack after the age of 8. The other two are ages 7 and 6 and they do not get rabies anymore because of health issues.

FL recognizes titers with a letter from your vet.

Parvo and distemper are also titers with my dogs from now on once they have had their initial round.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

My vet does 3-year vaccines and she advices on not vaccinating older dogs as much if at all. She also doesn't normally give ALL the vaccinations available, just a few.
My dog had a vaccine reaction the last time she had the combo vacc when she was about 9 years old (at another vet) so we decided no more for her after that, except of course (3-year) rabies as it is required. When the vaccines came due we did titers instead.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ILGHAUS
Quote:
Quote:I know we must get the annual Rabies shot.
FL law is rabies every 3 years so it is <u>your</u> vet's choice to go with the annual. .....
Vets like this drive me nuts -- those that annually vaccinate in a 3-year state. How many of their clients do they tell this to?!?!?!?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page