Do dogs have warts? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Do dogs have warts?

Okay guys...me here again needing your expertise...

I check Charlie (1 yr. old) on a daily basis, I pet him so much and make sure there's nothing abnormal on his skin/hair/etc.... Well, I came across a little "wart" right on his chest. It's just like a human wart, same color of his skin, the size of rice grain. Is that possible? This might be stupid, sorry but I had no clue dogs could get warts.

He does not seem to care at all, as he doesn't scratch or anything. Should I leave alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Do dogs have warts?

It is most likely a fatty tumor. No big deal they are common in GSDs and other breeds. My female has several. Sometimes they will scratch them and break them open. It will oooze a little and may bleed if he breaks it open. Just clean it and make sure it does not get infected.

It is nothing to rush to the vet over, but next time you are in be sure to show the vet just to make record of it.

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Our Beardie used to get warty things like that. Vet said they were fat pockets. We had them removed a few times as they showed up on the top of her foot, then stopped since they kept coming back. How I finally got it to stop (and I dont think this is a good idea now) was I put Neosporin on her foot and wrapped it up really well. I left it wrapped for about a week, but changed the bandages everyday. Never came back. She was a dear and would never bother injuries or anything, so she left the bandage alone, but I dont think Neosporin is good for dogs, so I dont think I'd go this route again with another dog.

You could ask the vet, but I dont know that I'd make a mad dash in there over it.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Knighted Member

Dogs can get warts. They are completly benign, and generally don't cause any problems. Occ they can scratch them and make them bleed. It could also be a dermal cyst, something my own sheps are prone to, also completly harmless. Occ these will get bigger and rupture, and then you'll need to take more action.
I would keep and eye on it, but not worry overmuch. If you notice it changing size or shape, then I would bring it up at your next vet visit.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

My First GSD actually had a wart or mole behind his ear. It wasn't a big deal for years, then all of the sudden it started weeping fluid, so he had surgery to remove it and the pocket of fluid that accumulated from bacteria getting in there.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

Gracie gets one occasionally on the top of her snout. It enver gets bigger than the head of a pin, she ends up scratching it off, it gets one drop of blood, I put antibiotic cream on and it's cleared up. The thing that bugs me is it takes the fur with it so she has a small bald spot - again, very small - until the hair grows back!!

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page