Early Neuter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110
Early Neuter?

Our pup Titan is 12 weeks. He had his first vet visit tonight, and while we were there, our vet asked about when we would like to neuter him. I had waited with my previous lab (stayed at my parents) to 6 months, and we spayed our female at 7 months, shortly after we brought her home. She told me that they do the early spay and neuter at the animal hospital, and that the procedure is much less invasive when they are that young, less tramatic for the dog, its much less recovery (not as many stitches or big of an opening) and that it actually costs about $150 less than the later neuter. I asked if there were any growth issues because of the early neuter and she said no. Any opinions? I'm going to check it up online but I'd like to hear your opinions and experiecne here, too please! Thanks!

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Early Neuter?

I would read all the previous threads about this very topic. A lot of folks are all for early neuter. And a lot of others are 100% AGAINST it.

I belong to the second group. Hormones are for more than reproduction.

With a lot of other animals, "altering" before they reach maturity DOES affect their growth. I don't see why dogs would be any different. (I believe they DO grow taller if altered before they are finished growing. )

Personally I wouldn't spay or neuter before 2yo. (Unless you are not able to keep them from reproducing. )

It probably costs less because they generally go be weight. SO obviously a baby puppy will weigh less than an adult. I don't see how they can say it is less "invasive", they are doing the exact same thing no matter the age.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110

I've read a little bit about so far, and it seems alot of people say there is no effect on growth, then others who say different. The reason she said it was less invasive was because of a different technique they use, where they (please excuse my non-technical terms) cut right on the scrotum and remove the testicles, where as the other way they cut a little farther away towards the penis to tie some of the blood vessels? I'm on the line, I really just want whats best for the dog, both health wise and for his behavior also.

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Knighted Member

It is never more invasive. Every vet does the same procedure. It can be a more traumatic surgery(more bruising/swelling) if the dog is over 2. As long as he is an appropriate weight, surgery should be fine whenever you choose. It costs less because your dog weighs less right now, and will use less anesthesia.
It seems to be the truth that dogs will grow taller if neutered early, but it also seems that they don't build appropriate muscle mass, and tend to be on the lean side.
I have decided that Frodo will not be neutered before his first birthday.(Perhaps longer.) I feel that it is in his best intrest to allow his muscles to build to their potential to help his fused hock.
On that note, I have always spayed or neutered everyone else at 6 months.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Knighted Member

Believe me when I say that we always tie off blood vessels, no matter what the age!!! There are some big vessels in those parts, even at 6 weeks!!!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

this is my 4th GSD. i've never had any of them neutered. i've never had a problem with any of them being in tack. neuter, if there's a health problem or your Vet thinks it's going to be a problem then yes. to neuter to avoid a problem that there's no sign of, no history of problems in their lineage, on conjecture, no, no, no. if i were going to nueter or spay they would be older than 6 or 7 months.

Titan is 12 weeks old. why is this his first Vet visit?????
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Elite Member

My family has never neutered any of our sheps. They also have never had any health problems that would require neuter. They never got to a female either. That being said, Apollo and Zeus are most likely not going to be neutered. Even if they were, it would not be before 2-3 years of age. I whole heartedly believe early neuter/spay messes up the dog's maturity physically.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

I would wait til at least 18 months of age this way he will grow the way he was intended to. Females are different
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Crowned Member

For the average pet owner, early neuter is the way to go and I totally recommend it. It is much less traumatic for your dog and he will heal much faster. As far as I know, there is no evidence one way or the other for growth differences, and really, for the average pet owner, who cares. With the early neuter, there is no chance of your dog having an unplanned mating so no possibility to contributing to the unbelieveable numbers of unwanted litters and dogs.

Way too many people ,once the dog gets to breeding age, suddenly start thinking about: how nice it would be to have a litter from their beloved dog, their dog has a right and a need to have sex at least once, it would be great for the kids to experience a litter of puppies, gee it would be great to make money by breeding this dog, and then the big one of men having sympathy pain and being unable to neuter the dog.

I am 100% supportive of early neuter for every dog except for the serious and responsible dog owner.

Elaine and the herd
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

I am in the same group as Tracy.

My female is 12 months, and still intact. I do not plan to spay her till after her second cycle. While the cost will be higher due to weight, I prefer to allow her hormones aid in her development. Even her breeder advised in our puppy packet not to spay a female under 9 months, and even longer for a male.

And since my little boo-peep is under during surgery, I will ask for a hip/elbow x-ray as well. Can't wait for that day. /

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page