Post-Op Care - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Post-Op Care

Tosca was just spayed yesterday and the only medication I got was amoxicilin to be given 1x every 12 hours. I'm just wondering why she didn't get anything for pain? She's not whimpering or anything but wondering why.

Also, is there anything I could be doing to make recuperating easier on her? I have the t-shirt ready for her but I don't think she needs it just yet. Should I be applying anything to her stitches?

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Post-Op Care

I think a lot of vet offices leave out the pain meds so that the dog will self limit, especially in the beginning when the stitches are easier to tear open.

I like to just leave them in a cushy bed, bring them their meals, talk to them nicely, give them a National Enquirer to look at...stuff I'd like if recuperating. But I do basically treat them like I would a person. Leave them alone enough for them to rest, completely limit activity, and leave the incision to heal on its own.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM

When I got my echo neutered they did give us a pain/anti inflammatory
When we had indigo spayed (different vet because she was a rescue) she didn't get any pain meds and she seemed to do fine.

Echo Bravo - 3/2007
Indigo Fox - 8/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I'm very big on pain management. Spays are actually major abdominal surgery and are painful (I've had abdominal surgery so know). One of the vet schools did a survey where they videoed dogs post surgery. When people were around they put on a "brave face" being at the front of the cage (not wanting to seem weak to teh rest of the pack), but when alone they would whimper, be unable to settle, stand hunched up etc.

Personally I would go back to my vet and ask for a couple of days of pain medications.

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

You can give Arnica for the pain. That's what I do for all of my animals, post-op.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 01:11 PM

I agree with Spiritsmam. I'm sure she received a pain injection before she came home. But, having some extra relief for a couple of days would be advisable. Perhaps Tramadol once in the morning and evening just for a couple of days.

Some say that you want them to feel a bit of pain so that they don't move around as much and hurt themselves further. But, I'm all for comfort. She's going to be kenneled or crated anyway for a few days right?

~~ Barbara ~~
Proudly owned by:
Heidi Vom Vinahaus, German Shepherd - DOB 1/2/07
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yes, she's being kenneled or on a very short leash in a down so she doesn't feel left out of things. So far she's acting ok. Just doing a lot of sleeping and drinking water. Unfortunately, I am taking her back to the vet because blood is leaking from the sutures. She's my baby. lol. It may be nothing but I would rather be safe than sorry because they are closed over the weekend.

J litter
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I took her in and the doc said she must have been licking it and put on a cone. She looks so pathetic. He also gave me a different type of medication Sulfamethoxazole 800 mg.

J litter
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Master Member

Good luck w/your baby, Denise! I have a whole new respect for dogs who get spayed, since I've had 2 c-sections! Ugh! I don't know how they get thought it, but the vet I used to work for didn't send pain meds home. Amazingly enough, I had a dog spayed myself once, and even without pain meds, she seemed to do pretty well - she was happy and playing w/in 3 or 4 days. I hope your baby is feeling fine - you are such a good mom!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you. Last night Tosca slept in her wire crate in the kitchen. I moved it there from the bedroom so that she could be in the middle of things. Guess who was sleeping in the kitchen with her? Me. lol. The crate is wider than the bedroom door frame and is a bit of work to dismantle to move it from room to room. It's going to be a long 7-10 recuperating days.

J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page