Gunner's surgery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Gunner's surgery

So Gunner's all set to be neutered this coming Monday.
I'm a bundle of nerves. He's never been put under before, so I'm scared to death that he's going to have a reaction, or there's going to be a complication of some sort, or something's going to go wrong. I know it has to be done, but I dread it.

It's probably been a little more than ten years since we've been through a neutering. I'm trying to remember everything, but it's a little fuzzy.

Any tips? Anything I absolutely should or should not do? Anything I need to be aware of, or watch for?

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Re: Gunner's surgery

def. get blood work before the surgery...it is alittle extra....but the blood work will give the doctors a correct exam before putting your dog under...i have seen dogs not come out of surgery right because of doctor error in judgement due to not getting blood work...all in all I am sure he will be a trooper....just my advice...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM

getting the blood work done first is a great idea, better to have the vet aware of any potential problems beforehand than to find out on the operating table.

I felt so bad for my boy when he came out because he was all doped up still. be prepared to see your boy act "drunk" for a little while after he comes out of it.
He'll probably do just fine.

"...I learned that for people who are called nomads they can actually get pretty angry." Sarah Silverman on Mongolians
"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"
Immanuel Kant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Crowned Member

It was awhile back since I went thru this with Sashi he was 2 I think, he had to have extended surg. because one was still up and he had stitches that came out later./ he stayed overnight and I went and got him the next AM. He was fine, make sure your Vet sends him home with a headcone, they cant bother anything down there, Sash wore his for about 4 days, he was so glad to be home, he didnt mind. Good luck.

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

Yes blood work!! When I had B's hips x-rayed they did blood work first before he was put under

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

He had blood work done about three weeks ago. Is that recent enough to be safe??

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

That's recent enough. If Gunner has a lot of swelling he will need ice applied - one of the mods here suggested using a bag of frozen peas.

My foster dog was neutered right after I got him last year and he had no problems at all. I wish the same for Gunner.

Bonnie

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Master Member

Good luck! He'll be fine, I'm sure. I understand your worry, though - I am already dreading getting Kodee neutered (not even sure I'm gonna do it, but probably will later). I used to work for a vet, and saw tons of neuters - never seen a problem, but I still worry too. It's our job as mothers. LOL! You will be amazed at how fast he recovers. Animals are so amazing! If we did that to a man, they'd lay in bed for weeks, pizzing and moaning. You dog will up and playing within a day or two!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: KodeeGirlIf we did that to a man, they'd lay in bed for weeks, pizzing and moaning. You dog will up and playing within a day or two!
Ha! Boy, that's for sure. They catch a cold and they whine for a week. (Um... no offense, guys! )

That was my next question - how long it should take him to recover. From what I remember, it seems like Alomar was back to normal very quickly. It definitely wasn't longer than like, two days.

The other thing I'm wondering about is letting him jump up to lay on the couch, or the bed, etc. I remember the vet telling me not to let Alomar do that for a few days, but I realized very quickly that there was no stopping him. He cleared the baby gate about two hours after I brought him home because I dared to leave the room for two minutes. Scared the daylights out of me, but his stitches held.
So would it be okay for Gunner to get up on the furniture?

For at least the first day or so, we're planning to keep the boys separated so that Riley won't be trying to lick his incision. Which means that Gunner and I will probably be camping out in my room and my bed is real low to the floor. Just a mattress and box springs on the floor. I had taken it off the frame when Cooper started to get arthritis and I've never bothered to put it back up. So, being that low, would it hurt for Gunner to hop up there?

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Crowned Member

With older males it takes longer than younger pups. You want to really keep them from running and jumping for about a week to 10 days. Before that they can pull their stitches there are internal and external stitches, they can open up a bleeder that can be a big mess trust me on that. So I went 10 days with Lakota, did Ice Packs the First three days. I was the Mod to post about Ice packs, my vet told me. I don't like using fronzen peas because it is wasteful because the thawing and refreezing they are junk. LOL I am cheap, I can freeze water and smash it to make ice packs.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page