What do u have Watering bowl or bucket for winter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

What do u have Watering bowl or bucket for winter?

I have a heating bucket I use in the winter for my other two dogs that stay outside.I am redoing a new bigger pen for all 3 dogs.My GSD stays inside.I will be bringing the other two dogs in as I retrain them to stay in the house(potty train).During the day they will be outside a lot of the time.(one of them might actually want to stay outside) Our water freezes in the winter .I was looking for a better product or maybe this is fine.It is just a standard horse heated water bucket.I think it is like 5-12 gallons.I have two sizes.I wanted to which to a stainless steel bucket because of cleaning issues.But I dont know what to do in the winter.Should I just continue to use my plastic heated buckets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 AM

Re: What do u have Watering bowl or bucket for winter?

you can try use a water heater, ones made for fish tank, but problem I can see with one of those heater is the dog can easily pull it out and chew on it. Most of them are glass and they are all electric, so if you got a chewer, then I wouldn't use it. If your dogs are calm and you know for fact they won't pull it out then I think it'll work.

Lab mix with Blue Heeler - Frankie - December 12, 1994 to November 8, 2002. R.I.P
Yorkshire Terrier - Bailie - 2 years
GSD - Maximus - 7 months
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

No,I have a chewer for sure... Thats why I think I am doing the best thing with the horse bucket. Just wanted to see what everyone else does.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CookieTN
Re: What do u have Watering bowl or bucket for win

It doesn't get that cold in my area compared to temperatures up north. My uncle uses a plastic bucket for India's water while she's outside.
My dogs are house dogs, so I just use their regular water dish...

~Tiffany
"We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation"~from 'Looking for Angels' by Skillet
Rest in peace, Cookie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(1998-2011)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

don't use that fish tank heater. that's not safe at all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

When I had an outside dog and even with my horses I never used a heated bucket. I used plastic pails and they were watered 3 - 4 times a day. When it was really cold and my mare was getting up there in years I would take her out a pail of warm water, not hot, just warm a couple extra times a day. The water from our well is pretty darn cold in the winter, so she really liked the warm water.

I have a small dog dish out in the winter for watering the feral cats.

My fear is that my horse or dogs would chew the electrica cable.

My fathre inlaw had a stock tank heater go bad and shocked all the cattle when they came to drink. A few of them would not drink out of that tank he had to get a smaller tank for them.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

They make heated dog bowls and you can position them so that the cord is protected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page