Ear cleaner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ear cleaner?

Curious what you all have found that seems to work well for cleaning ears. Do you get a product from the Vet - like Oti Clean, or something like that?

I have tried a myriad of ear cleaners (as well as natural and homeopathic-type formulas) and nothing seems to work as well, and not be irritating to the ear tissue as the Oti-stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Ear cleaner?

This was posted awhile ago: I have been using it recently and it does seem to work...

The following is a homemade ear cleaner that I first learned about here at this site. I have used it for the past three years, and it has worked wonderfully well. It causes my dogs no discomfort, and keeps their ears perfectly clean. I use it once a month.
There are only three ingredients in it, all of which are very inexpensive and available at the drug store. One bottle of this mixture will cost under $3 and will provide dozens of treatments.

The alcohol is the carrier for the mixture--it dissolves wax and is antiseptic, and evaporates quickly so the ears do not remain wet. Gentian violet is an old-fashioned germ-killer (along the lines of merthiolate, that sort of topical tincture). And boric acid powder--which I think is the key ingredient--adjusts the ph of the ear to make it inhospitable to fungus. This powder doesn't dissolve, it's just suspended in the alcohol, so when the alcohol dries it leaves a very fine dusting of this acidic powder inside the ear canal.

BLUE POWER EAR CLEANER

INGREDIENTS:
16 Oz. bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)

4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder (drug store item)

16 Drops of Gentian Violet Solution 1% (drug store item)

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.

You will need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. Purchase a flexible plastic bottle with the opening at the top so that the solution may be gently squeezed out and dispense solution to affected ears. The ideal is a hair-dye bottle available at a pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or a beauty supply store.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:12 PM

I use "vet solutions ear cleaning solution" on my boys ears. He has drop ears so they don't get any ventilation and he requires somewhat frequent ear cleaning.

I get it at the vets office and have liked it more than the other's I have tried. it is more mild than others I have used and it cleans well without leaving his ears all red and irritated. I used to use a different product at the vet (it was oticlean or OTI-something).

"...I learned that for people who are called nomads they can actually get pretty angry." Sarah Silverman on Mongolians
"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"
Immanuel Kant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Basu had horrible allergies and so he almost constantly had ear infections. I tried probably 30 different ear cleaners.

The two I like the best are:

Ark Naturals Ears All Right (Smells like cinammon!) http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ht/121019.aspx

K-9 Ear Solutions Ear Cleaner http://www.k9rawdiet.com/K-9-Ear-Sol...la-pr-112.html

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to tintallie

I would say ditto for the Purple Potion recipe listed above.

Gentian Violet is an antifungal agent used in hospitals after cutting and tying the umbilical cord and it has been used in the past for yeast infections in humans as well.

The Purple Potion ingredients make it a good choice for a bacterial or yeast infection (caused y allergies to food usually) for the ears.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up for the blue power ear treatment.... I buy the K9 Liquid Health already made..... it's cheaper here, just bought 2 bottles.

http://www.vitacost.com/Liquid-Health-K-9-Ear-Solutions

Niko ~ Reinholt vom Mittelwest
Whiskey ~ Rescue Sweetie
Fluffy & Peeps ~ Kitties
RIP ~ Storm ~ My sweet boy ~ There will never be another like you!
RIP ~ Boo ~ My bold kitty
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

AWESOME...thank you all very much!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 AM

I use a simple solution of apple cider vinegar & water. Works wonderfully and then I get to tease him that he smells like a salad
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: Ark Naturals Ears All Right (Smells like cinammon!)
That's the one I use. also. To me it smells like cloves. I don't think the dogs are impressed with the smell, but it does work and I am glad this one was recommended to me.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page