What temperature should you keep your home? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

What temperature should you keep your home?

Does anyone have any literature or resources that discuss what is the ideal temp to keep your home at if you have a GSD? Especially if you live in the South? Personal opinions welcome too.

Thanks.

Alex Strain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.

Anna Sewell, Black Beauty, 1877
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: What temperature should you keep your home?

I guess my first question would be, does your dog have any specific health conditions? Sometimes, very young dogs, seniors, and dogs with ailments have a harder time adjusting to the temperatures and humidity levels than a healthy adult dog would.

We live in Virginia, so I'm not entirely sure you would consider us "the south", but it sure does get hot and humid here - it was today! We try to acclimatize to the warmer and colder temperatures as the year passes, so we don't turn the AC on as soon as it goes over 70 and we don't turn the heat on as soon as it goes below 70. In summer, we don't usually turn the AC on until it's well into the 90's, except at night (because my DH doesn't like to sweat when he's asleep) when we set it to 85ish. In winter, the heat doesn't go on unless it's below 60 (and DH complains he's "cold").

In my experience, Abby could care less about the weather. As long as she gets brushed out frequently and has fresh water available, she's game for pretty much anything, indoors and out.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Elite Member

Well we keep our AC on 72 degrees in the Summer, and in the winter we burn wood, so if we are gone, we leave the heat on about 72-74 depending on how cold it is.

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Knighted Member

In Ct, I keep my house at 65 in the winter when I'm not home, and find that when we burn wood in the winter, the girls are searching for cooler spots. They don't love humidity, but we'll leave fans on during the day in the summer. Pups perfer it a little cooler, and any dog with heart conditions may have issues, but in general, if we're ok, the kids are too!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: HistorianI guess my first question would be, does your dog have any specific health conditions? Sometimes, very young dogs, seniors, and dogs with ailments have a harder time adjusting to the temperatures and humidity levels than a healthy adult dog would.

We live in Virginia, so I'm not entirely sure you would consider us "the south", but it sure does get hot and humid here - it was today! We try to acclimatize to the warmer and colder temperatures as the year passes, so we don't turn the AC on as soon as it goes over 70 and we don't turn the heat on as soon as it goes below 70. In summer, we don't usually turn the AC on until it's well into the 90's, except at night (because my DH doesn't like to sweat when he's asleep) when we set it to 85ish. In winter, the heat doesn't go on unless it's below 60 (and DH complains he's "cold").

In my experience, Abby could care less about the weather. As long as she gets brushed out frequently and has fresh water available, she's game for pretty much anything, indoors and out.
It's not for me. I keep my a/c most of the time and just adjust the temp. In the winter, I don't keep the heat on most of the time b/c the dogs like it cool. I just double up on my clothes. But I was struggling with what to tell someone else. I guess my question should have been - what is too hot? Should one not go over 80 degrees if the dog is healthy, has a water source, lights are off, curtains closed? As far as location, I'm in Charlotte, NC and it is pretty warm here but also quite humid. I think it must be hot at least half the year. Maybe 3 cool - cold months.

P.S. I am from Fairfax County in VA and consider anything south of that the South.

Alex Strain

We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words.

Anna Sewell, Black Beauty, 1877
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Crowned Member

It depends a lot on the dog--age, what they're used to, etc. I don't have central air and sometimes it gets up to 85 in my house. I turn on fans, wet the dogs down, feed them ice cubes, etc. Chama does best when it's 70 or below in the house because she is older and has lung problems.

And in the winter I keep the heat at 58 when I'm home and 53 when I'm out or sleeping. The dogs love it! The cat, however, thinks it's too cold!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Knighted Member

I hear you about the cat. Often, I'll wake up in the winter to find my girls on the floor and all 8 of my cats trying for the warm spot on the bed!!!!!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:I guess my question should have been - what is too hot? Should one not go over 80 degrees if the dog is healthy, has a water source, lights are off, curtains closed?
In that case, my answer is .... "Depends on the Dog."

In all seriousness, if we're talking about a health adult German Shepherd with no medical issues who has water and shade available to him, I don't see why that dog wouldn't do well at 80 degrees - or 90 degrees - or even warmer. As long as the dog has a cool and shady spot to go to, fresh water available, and a well-maintained coat, they can get used to the warmer temperatures and withstand them without any problems.

We still go hiking if it's over 90 degrees. We also go reenacting if it's that hot. Our hottest event recently was in Pennsylvania - it was 102 degrees and 63% humidity. Plenty of shade but no fans or air conditioning. We were all FINE, including Abby!

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Knighted Member

I keep it very cool, around +50F. I cannot tolerate heat at all, and now that the dogs have acclimated, they too get too hot when it is much above 50.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 PM

I keep my AC on at anywhere between 72 -75 degrees with the ceiling fans on and I live in Florida. Romy does well and sleeps like a baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page