Anyone else have a GS shedding now? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else have a GS shedding now?

My 8 yr male has been shedding / blowing his coat the last 2 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else's GS is doing it. It is much more than in Spring. Of course I groom him every day, it helps some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Anyone else have a GS shedding now?

Welcome to the site! What is your location, I think the weather makes a difference with the coat blowing time...
My 14.5 yr golden/border cross had a bag full of fur when I brushed her today. She is so old that her coat just grows and grows but her exercise is none so she is soo feathered and thick. I could get another bag of fur if I kept brushing her, but she was worn out with one.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, Renji just started recently. Today I furminated some fluffy dog-clouds off of him and will have to do more tomorrow. We're in Florida, and the season's shifted from monsoon season to hurricane/mosquito season.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Im in New Jersey, I'm sure its related to the shorter days. Thanks for responding, it lets me know its normal. I've had Sheppards for years but don't remember fall shedding.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM

my dogs are off track, which i cant decided if its good or bad. my male long coat blew his coat back in... hm... say june. my female short stock coat just started a few weeks ago and man its bad. in two days i can develop a fur coating over my upstairs carpet. they generally shed a bit, but never clumps. i can semi furminate her (but man do i hate that thing) but brush them both daily using a combination of tools. vacuuming is up to every other day (so glad i only have carpet in one room)

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Max has been shedding heavily for over a month now...it is finally starting to diminish...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

Onyx blew her coat in June too, for the first time. She will be 2 in Nov. I feed raw and my gsd's don't shed nearly as much as the others I am around. I do vac. every day if possible, though just to keep the fluffs from taking over. Two long coats and a short coat, along with birds, the vac is really getting a work-out.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 PM

You mean there is a time when they don't shed?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CalipsoYou mean there is a time when they don't shed?

But the jar he was making did not turn out as he had hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay again and started over. ~ Jer. 18:4

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Elite Member

Lots and Lots of hair....everywhere I look...all I do is brush and brush, time to go to the groomers. LOL

Sherri & the 6 Holy Terrors...

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page