Question about exercise - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Question about exercise

After starting the thread about whether to start Gunner on glucosamine supplements, it brought up another question: his exercise routine.

He'll be 6 years old in November and during the past couple days I've noticed an occasional clicking sound in his hips when he gets up from lying down, or jumps up on the couch, bed, etc. He doesn't seem bothered by it at all. Doesn't even seem to notice it. It's definitely not slowing him down! He still wants to run, run, run. LOL.

But I'm wondering if I should be adjusting his exercise at this stage? How much is too much?
His favorite thing in the world is 'fetch' so we do that in the backyard usually three or four times a day (sometimes more) for a good twenty minutes each time. This involves him all-out running after the toy, loping when he brings it back and doing it all over again, right away. I have to make him stop when his tongue starts hanging out of his head and he's panting like crazy. (This goofball would do it all day long if I let him.) Usually a few times a week, we mix in a walk around the block, just to keep him out and about, seeing different things and different people.

Should I be cutting down on the strenuous exercise at this point? More walking, less running, maybe?

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question about exercise

The clicking is inflammation around the joint. Rafi's hips do that. Definitely a good time to get him on a good supplement (I like Longevity by Springtime Inc.).

If I were you I would start conditioning him to take longer walks. That does a better job of conditioning and is much easier on the body. You could cut out one of the play sessions and put in a walk instead. Rafi also loves to play ball but we do 3 or 4 sessions a day that last 5 minutes. That way I don't put too much strain on his joints. I walk him 5-6 miles a day though.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

I agree with BowWowMeow, I was told to do the same thing with my 3 yr old. We use to run every morning and then walk at night but lately a few hours after the run he would limp around as if he hurt his hips somehow, so I was told to ease him into long walks. So now we do two 3 mile walks a day, and it seems to be enough excercise for him, along with his little ball play breaks through out the day.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

You guys are doing between five and six miles a day? Holy

I think somebody needs to quit smoking if we're going to start easing into this.

Oh well, it'll be good for me, too. Maybe it actually will help me quit. And the weather will be cooling off here soon, so it's a good time to start working in longer and more frequent walks.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

I have found that anything less than 4 miles doesn't tire them out! Plus I love the exercise! I started with my first gsd, 20 years ago, and now I'm totally addicted to the long walks. It's a great stress reliever so yeah, it probably could help you quite smoking.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI have found that anything less than 4 miles doesn't tire them out! Plus I love the exercise! I started with my first gsd, 20 years ago, and now I'm totally addicted to the long walks. It's a great stress reliever so yeah, it probably could help you quite smoking.
Stress relief is always a good thing!
It wouldn't surprise me if that turns out to be the case with Gunner, too. His energy level is insane.
I won't start walking that far right off the bat, though. (Ha! Like I could if I wanted to!) I'll ease him into it.

I stopped at PetSmart yesterday and picked up one of those 'coupler' things, that allow you to walk two dogs on one leash. I think the longer walks would be good for Riley, too. He doesn't get nearly as many walks as he should. To be honest, I really don't like to go out walking by myself, with just a Golden on the leash, because I never feel particularly safe. I feel perfectly safe when I'm out with Gunner, but walking both of them at once is a bit much. The leashes always manage to get tangled up. So hopefully this coupler will make it easier and we'll all benefit from it.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page