What Is Safe? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What Is Safe?

I just got finished reading about the Hartz Flea and Tick Shampoo thread and now I am wondering what is safe to wash with?

My dog is now on Frontline Plus but every now and then, I am sure I may want to bath her in the future. So do I only bath her with only non-insecticide shampoo?

The vet told me if I bath her with anything that lathers while on Frontline, the potency of the Frontline diminishes for about 3 days which is how long it takes for the oils to reestablish itself.

Are there natural insect repellant soaps/shampoos which are safe to use with Frontline Plus and with other cats/pets in the house?

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: What Is Safe?

go to petsmart and get something called de-fle it is all natural and kills fleas on contact and safe to use with frontline

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: What Is Safe?

Is there a particular reason that you're using insect repellent shampoo on top of Frontline? A bath, if you're leaving the suds on at least 5 minutes (8-10 is better), will kill fleas on its own. They drown in the suds. Add in a conditioner, which is heavier than soap, leave on an extra 5 minutes, and you can watch every flea rinse down the drain. Want extra flea protection? A *good* flea comb. There are a lot of flea combs on the market. I've tried most of them. This is the kind I prefer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CCQMLG?...0&linkCode=asn

If I can avoid putting extra chemicals on my dogs' bodies, I do. I let the suds do the work. Then I choose a nice gentle shampoo. I use Kelco Oats Fur Coats (http://kelcoshampoo.com/). I also use Kelco conditioners. These are pretty widely available online. If you splurge for the gallon size (it's concentrate. Just mix with water), you'll pretty much never buy shampoo again. It can be used on your cats too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page