Dog Treat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Dog Treat

What do you give your GSD for a treat? We used to give Rawhide bones but I saw some negative information on them on the internet and have stayed away from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Re: Dog Treat

We use bully sticks.

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

NO to rawhides around here, I feed fresh knuckle bones, bully sticks are good, too, just stinky! I would stay away from smoked bones from the pet shops. Anything from a butcher or meat dep't that is raw is safe. Pork neck bones, chicken or turkey necks and chix wings are really good and give nutrition along with a chew treat. Don't be surprised if they get gobbled up fast though! Oh, BTW welcome to this great site!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Strawberries, blueberries, green beans, cheese, fish, meats, hot dogs, liver, hearts, bananas, peanut butter, bones (RAW, sometimes frozen, always with meat on them, he eats a raw diet), eggs, ice cubes, carrots, celery, smoothies, ice cream, stuffed kongs with various ingredients from the above list, some of these frozen or cooked, etc.

Best things are stuffed and frozen kongs- if I do them up right (rare), Renji can be kept occupied for an hour or so.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Peanut-butter filled, frozen Kong.

Pizza crusts on the rare occasions that we have pizza.

Fresh cantaloupe, watermelon, carrots, and other fruit / veggies when we have them.

We also sometimes get Sniffer's Adult dog treats for training. They're really big but because they're soft, they can be easily broken into itty bitty little pieces. I would not feed a (daily) food with the ingredients they have, but for the occasional treat, they're okay.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Crowned Member

For ideas for treats, you might find this thread useful.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post763415

For chews, I like bully sticks and Merrick's Texas Toothpicks (smoked beef tails). My dogs love them. I also feed raw treats like onyx listed -- turkey necks are an especially big hit and they're not very messy.

To keep a puppy occupied, you can buy toys like the Buster Cube. These are great because he's working his brain while he snacks. Perfect for mental stimulation! http://www.bustercube.com/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:29 AM

We just fed our new pup (8 months) a bully stick for the first time and she loved it. What I wonder is how often can you give a treat like this? Is okay once a day?

Susan
~~~~~~~~
Zoey, white GSD, 9/1/11
(adopted 12/19/12 from German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California)
Cassie, GSD 11/26/07-12/13/12

Chelsie, Border Collie/Spitz

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Bully sticks are (and I'm working off the top of my head here) abut 50% protein and 20% fat (or so).

So you have two things going on. Is she still eating all of her regular food? If so, she's picking up extra protein (and especially fat), that you need to be aware of. If she's in a growth spurt, that's probably ok. If not, it's a recipe for becoming a round little pup.

If she's not eating all her regular food, then she's loading up on treats. Bully sticks aren't "bad" for her. But they're not balanced sources of nutrition either.

Like everything else in our lives, moderation is key. There is also something else to consider. My guess is that if she gets one every day, she'll kind of realize that they're always going to be around and not mow through one a day, which IMO, is a great way for a dog to teach herself self restraint (I have treats and bones lying all over the place. My dogs don't think every treat is the last treat in the world. They pick one up when they feel like nibbling. Then they leave it when they're done.). But if she really does consume one a day, I think that's likely too much.

For an active adult, she probably could get away with it, but a pup that weighs approx 50-55 lbs? That seems like a lot to me (I assume also that she's getting training treats besides?)

How's that for a long-winded answer when I simply could have said yes or no?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

freezed dried 100% liver treats and all natural biscuits and of course something from our dinner.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

I use the freeze dried liver, chicken jerky that is 100% chicken, pig's ears, knuckle bones, cheese, baloney, hot dogs, left over dinner (mine), and venison treats.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page