Delayed machismo finally kicks in - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Delayed machismo finally kicks in

FINALLY!! At age 20 months, for the very first time, Grimm hiked his leg on something on our walk and peed on it!! A traffic signal pole. At twenty months old! Is this the end of an era? Has my baby been replaced by a swaggering stud with mondo 'tude? Will he begin to wear gold chains and scowl, "I pity da foo'! I pity da foo'!"

He has always done the racehorse stretch, often lifting a leg-- but lifting it on nothing. Plus, he always peed one time on our walks, and he peed the whole ocean in one go. But the past 2 weeks, he pees just a little bit... then later during the walk I would ask if he needed to go again, and he would then open the floodgates of pee. But.. he never peed ON anything, even though he raised a leg from his racehorse stand.

He just did it that one time today. At 20 months! Is he waaayyy behind? I keep hearing these Czech lines mature really, really slowly. Is this what's happening? (Grimm has seen many dogs hiking their legs on poles and fences and trees to pee.. he just never marked until today)

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Delayed machismo finally kicks in

Ha--funny that you post this now. I think Rafi is about the same age and has just started to lift his leg. First he would lift it about once a week and NEVER when he was with Chama. Now he is lifting it several times a day and occasionally when Chama is there (of course she lifts her leg higher and marks over it!)

The funny thing with Rafi is that he doesn't have the aim down yet and sometimes it goes all over the place. And sometimes he forgets to save up and nothing comes out and he looks a bit puzzled and embarrassed.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Master Member

Wow - I thought it took Kodee a while, and he starting lifting his leg and peeing on everything in the great outdoors around 12 months. He also barks fit to kill when people come to the door - also since about 12 months.

One thing that he needs to practice, though, is his aim. Usually he does pretty good, but about 1 in 5 times, he'll hike his hind leg and pee all over the back of his front one. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

I really want a male, but this is something I will have to get use to!
Congrats Grimm, you a big boy now!!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

My male (neutered as pup between 4-6months) started to mark when he was over 2.5yrs. At first he only pee'd over my female's scent, but a couple months later he started to mark bushes and posts, too. He's not czech line, but a pb georgia shepherd.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

Kelso started lifting his leg on walks at right at about 20 months as well.

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wow! Funny how the timeline works when they decide they are BMOC. (Big Man on Campus) LOL Today I knew he had to pee, so I deliberately took him directly to a tree. He did the sideways-head thing, sniffing the scents there, then walked forwards a few steps.... a few steps more.. dawdled here and there.. and then pee'd with the tree now a good yard and a half behind him. Duh! LOL Too cute.

Hormonally, he's still a few fries short of a Happy Meal just yet.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page