How much extra care for a Long coated GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How much extra care for a Long coated GSD?

I was just wondering if there is alot of extra work involved.
I know with the girls it's a quick swipe with the brush once in awhile and I'm done. (Except in shedding season of course)
Do they shed as much? Do you have to groom them often? Do they need regular baths more then short coats?

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Master Member

Re: How much extra care for a Long coated GSD?

I have a long stock-coated GSD (with an undercoat). I don't think it's that much more work. I never give Kodee a bath unless he gets into something (rare, since he's a housedog). His last bath was about 4-5 mos ago, and he's shiny and clean and doesn't smell "doggie" at all. I brush (pin-brush) around his ears/head and the feathering on his hind legs and tail a minimum of 2x/week. I usually run over his body and ears feathering about every other day (just a 2-3 minute session), with a pin brush to get the loose hair out. So far this summer, I've used the furminator maybe 4 times altogether.

My dog doesn't have a super-long coat (he's not a true long-coat, like I said, he's a long stock-coat), but I would almost think that a true long-coat might shed less, with no undercoat. Kodee sheds some, but not excessively, and with 3 kids, I vacuum daily anyway.

I get compliments on his shiny coat all the time, and like I said, I don't spend more than 5 minutes/day on grooming him. Forgot to mention, about once every 2 weeks, I'll use a wide-tooth metal comb, and comb the "problem" areas (ear feather, pantaloons and tail) all the way through. Takes about 10 minutes. He's never had a mat.

The longest I think I've gone w/out grooming at all him since he got his adult coat was about 3 weeks, and he started shedding a lot more and looking dull. The first time i brushed him through after this, the shedding went back to "normal", and he was as shiny as ever.

Here's a pic - you can kind of see how long his hair is near his head/ears. Tail has very long hair, although it's hard to see here:

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
dOg
Elite Member

I have one each, and would say the amount of work grooming them is
just about equal. The only thing is the longer hair can pick up more mud, but if you keep the paws trimmed, the ankles trimmed, even that is a wash.

I just send wet dogs downstairs to kennel until dry. They know the routine, and cooperate more often than not. My Hugo looks alot like
KodeeGirl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

Yes the mud in the seasons change is a drag with a coat! Onyx will come in clean and Kacie tracks footprints if I don't catch her feet with a towel quick enough.
She also gets alot of snow accumilation on her fur in the winter..I love the long coats and it isn't a deterrent IMO.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Knighted Member

I have a long coated dog and admit that I am not as good as Kodeegirl about grooming on a weekly basis. She sheds but not like the stock coated dogs I have had in the past.

I have only bathed her once and she's going to turn one soon.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page