Nail care.............has anyone seen this on TV ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Nail care.............has anyone seen this on TV ?

Just wondered about this & if it truely would work & last ? I wonder about it staying sharp, batteries, etc ?

I haven't read over the site as I just looked it up on the net & copied the link to post here for opinions.

Anyone own or what do you think ?

http://www.peticure.com/

Thanks.........

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Re: Nail care.............has anyone seen this on TV ?

I was thinking of buying the safe guard attachment that turns a dremel into a pedicure, but I can't seem to find a sizing/fit chart on it. Anyone know what dremels the safe guard attachment fits? my dremel is old and It might not fit...

"...I learned that for people who are called nomads they can actually get pretty angry." Sarah Silverman on Mongolians
"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"
Immanuel Kant
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

I use and ordinary Dremel with a sanding sleeve to do the dogs' nails. You don't need any special safety attachments.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

My friend that is a groomer and works in vets office said that is this a dangerous tool, said the attachments catch the fur or something and hurts the pets which in turn makes it even hard for them to trust you to clip nails she advise me to not get this

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

I have a battery powered Dremel marketed for dogs nails. The batteries are fine until I work on Doeraks nails which are made of steel!

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C6DZ2

What I do is clip first then grind down closer to the quick and smooth the edges with the Dremel.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mkennelsMy friend that is a groomer and works in vets office said that is this a dangerous tool, said the attachments catch the fur or something and hurts the pets which in turn makes it even hard for them to trust you to clip nails she advise me to not get this
Somebody told me this for long hair dogs, slip an old nylon stocking over the paw and poke holes for the claws. The stocking keeps the long hair away from the wheel.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I have two longcoat shepherds and have never had a problem with their hair catching. Now if the OWNER has long hair, I suggest pinning it up out of the way since you'll be leaning over your dog while you dremel. Fortunately, I did not have to learn this the hard way, someone else suggested it. I also use a dust mask since there is a lot of nail dust produced, and I have asthma.

I have caught my cat's hair - one time I was dremeling Cassidy's nails and Elvis came over to check out the treats I was giving her and I shoved him away.....with the hand holding the dremel, lol! Doh! It caught some of his tail hair, but he's a Maine Coon and he has plenty of hair left.

When I do D & K's nails I pinch each nail between my fingers while I dremel, which stabilizes the nail and makes the grinding go much faster, plus it keeps the hair out of the way of the tool.

But if it's a concern, I've heard about the stocking trick too - I think Betty in MA, (who has 3 longcoats, including the famous Taser), does it that way. Her dogs have longer hair on their feet than mine do, and she trims it periodically, which I've never had to do.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

What ever happened to go ol' training the dog to sit and have his/her nails clipped? I think it should be a mandatory when getting a puppy used to being handled. Touching paws, and teeth, ears, etc., so when its necessary to clean ears, or clip nails that it isnt world war 3! I use regular nail cutters and put them in a down stay on their side, and quickly clip all four paws and its over in seconds with a fun game of catch afterwards.

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Ailyn, your point is well made.

The routine you describe is exactly what I do, once a week. Only I use a Dremel instead of clippers. All of my dogs lie quietly and get a manicure.

Same idea, different tool.

Doesn't matter what tool you use, if you don't start early with a puppy and make it fun, any grooming routine will be impossible as they get older.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I agree - I prefer the dremel over clippers because I can take more off at a time without the worry of quicking them. With black nails it's impossible to know where the quick is. I like to keep the nails very short so they don't clack on our hardwood floors. Quicking with clippers is painful and messy, but if you accidentally go too far with a dremel, it doesn't hurt, and it barely bleeds at all. The nails are also ground smooth with a dremel rather than the sharp edges that clippers leave.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page