Heartworm Testing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Heartworm Testing?

What age do you start checking for Heartworms? Chance hasn't been tested because the vet said something along the lines of he wasn't old enough for them to have become adults and that starting him on Heartguard would kill any if there was any. (Something like that) That was a few months back, he's now 13 months old so I'm guessing it's about time for a test? How often do you check for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Heartworm Testing?

I can't tell you at what age you should start checking because I've only ever had adult rescue dogs.

I can tell you that we test twice a year when we go in for 6 month checkups. The test we use is the combo test that checks for heartworm, Lyme and Ehrlichiosis.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

According to the American Heartworm society it takes between 5 and 6 months before an infected dog would show as positive on a heartworm test. For that reason many vets start dogs on heartworm prevention as puppies (at least here in the south where we have mosquitos all year round) and then test for the first time at one year of age. After that I do annual testing.

One thing to note - I've heard that vets in this area are starting to see dogs that have been on Heartgard every month, all their lives, come up positive for heartworms! next time my dogs go in for their annual exams I'm going to ask for more information/confirmation.

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Spiritsmam...
One thing to note - I've heard that vets in this area are starting to see dogs that have been on Heartgard every month, all their lives, come up positive for heartworms! next time my dogs go in for their annual exams I'm going to ask for more information/confirmation.
I'm not sure if I read this on an email list or here on the boards, but recently I read that Heartgard has to be chewed, not swallowed whole, to be effective. I don't know if this information is true or not.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

Our vet starts heartworm testing at 6 months old. Chevy had his done about 2 weeks ago.

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

Yes-true.

http://heartgard.us.merial.com/downl...nformation.pdf see Administration

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Heartgard...002-10000.html see How should this medication be given

The Interceptor can be gulped.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

Has anyone used the new Iverheart Max? If so, your thoughts, especially with pregnant and lactating females.

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

Yes, I've used Iverhard Max for the last year. It seems to be a great product but I did recently go back to Heartgard simply b/c it was an act of congress to get Ava to take that tablet ... she hated it. With the heartgard she takes it with no problems. The Iverhart Max actually protects against more parasites and it's cheaper.

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

If I remember right, Chance always chewed his but that worries me thinking about it now. We started on Iverhart Max this month because my vet recommended it to me.

I had to try to get him to eat it 4 times. I finally gave it with cheese and he took it. It's "chewable" (Though hard unlike Heartguard) to so I'm worried that it wont work if he doesn't chew it like the Heartguard?? He just swollowed it. I think I might call the vet tomorrow morning and ask.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Here is their product insert:
http://www.iverhart.com/PDFS/Iverhar...age_Insert.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page