GSD at Vet today died from Hartz shampoo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

GSD at Vet today died from Hartz shampoo

I was in for our last booster shot at the vet this morning and while we were waiting a HUGE GSD came in obviously distressed. The owners (a couple and a boy) said he was 4 years old and they had bathed him the day before. He apparently threw up right after the bath and was distressed all night. He was having trouble walking, his stomach was bloated, and he was having spasms. It was AWFUL. The vet came in the waiting room and said it was poisoning and immediately got an attendent to get an IV set up for him. In the middle of this we of course got called into our examination room. On our way out, we saw they were outside crying and I talked to them for a bit. The vet said they didn't know if he was going to make it. They showed us the shampoo bottle- it was Hartz 2in1 flea shampoo.

I felt so bad for them- the guy kept saying the dog was his best friend and he couldn't believe that a shampoo could do this to him. We got interrupted and they were called in, so we left.

Unfortunately, as we were driving past, I saw the boy come running out of the office crying hysterically... so I'm assuming the worst

I FEEL SO BAD. Anyone have any experience with OTC flea products? This is so messed up... very traumatic experience. The dog didn't have fleas, but they said he smelled because he was playing in water so they probably just used whatever they had on hand to wash him up.
I don't think I'll ever use an OTC flea product, ever. Not after seeing that...

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

Re: GSD at Vet today died from Hartz shampoo

This is so sad. I know 2 of my neighbors dogs had a very bad reaction to this also, one of them died too.

Here is some more info.
http://www.hartzvictims.org/2004/10/...toxic-to-dogs/
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

wow!

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

Mixing different products can cause reactions as well. Heartworm meds /flea treatments. It is very scary! I worked at an exotic bird store that also sold pet items 16 yrs ago, and we always warned clients about this. We did not sell any Hartz products(knew better, even back then).

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

that is very sad for the family, I use deflea when needed it is all natural, i have always heard bad things about hartz products

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:30 PM

I had no idea, wow that it just scary!

Bogart 11 years old GSD

"He/she is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

OH this is just awful. I have never heard of such a problem. I don't use those products but I know I never will now!!! Thanks for letting us know. I'm so sorry for the dog and his family.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Knighted Member

That is so sad. I was thinking about giving my dog a bath today with a Sargents flea and tick product. The only reason why I was considering that was because my body is breaking out from either poison ivy or poison oak. The only way I could be getting it is from the dog running through some bushes in the back yard. I'm reconsidering that after reading this because she already is on the Frontline Plus.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes, I burst into tears when the vet was in the waiting room and said the dog was poisoned. I felt so hard for all of them... poor family. The worst part is, I believe I recognize where they live and I ride my bike past their house when I go mt. biking (they are right near the trail head). I always talked to him when he barked at me. I feel so sad

You would not believe the stories you read on the internet about the same thing happening to dogs and especially cats. it's SO terrible! there should be a big warning on the products.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Your post may have just saved another dog. I'm sitting here stunned at this information. I had no idea... Never bought Hartz (always my vet's products or pet specific places). Had some that was from a drugstore buyout (lots of pet stuff, mostly Hartz). I kept the new collars, leashes, toys for rescue donations, but I held onto the shampoos and some other Hartz products. The other day it was 100+ degrees and had Po outside, sent my partner in the house to grab whatever was handy and I proceeded to slather him up (the exact stuff you mentioned). This wasn't a planned bath, just an impulsive move because Po has just recovered from a bout with his hips and was long overdue. He seemed so strong and happy, it just seemed a good moment for a bath. I did take extra care with rinsing and drying him because his long coat really demands it. He was okay for a while after the bath, but by sundown, he was definitely not feeling well. For the next 2 days, he was not himself at all and I thought maybe a slight relapse with the hip discomfort. He just had that "Mom, I feel like I'm going to throw up" look and was not eating and drinking per normal but enough that I was not totally alarmed. After a couple days of careful watchful waiting, he is totally okay now. I attributed him being down in the mouth to his recent hip bout and the extreme heat that he so hates to go out in even to potty. Of course, in retrospect, had I known what I now know, I would have rushed him to the vet.

I simply had no idea and it never occurred to me that the shampoo could be the issue. I have no defense for my ignorance - how could I miss this? My vet of 20 years (just retired) has warned me on certain products but never a word about Hartz. I guess he assumed I would never use a product of this quality (lack of). I'm just beginning to process the loss of 3 dogs nearly back-to-back - I can't begin to fathom losing this boy, especially due to my own actions.

My heart goes out to this family. I am also very grateful for this information. Thank you for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page