Boarding Kennels? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Boarding Kennels?

Well, I'm going away (to Cornwall!! ) for a week. I leave on Saturday.. I'm really looking forward to it..

Except that I can't take Cherry with me I am going to miss her sooooo much. I spend everyday with her. She is my best friend.

I've booked her into a boarding kennel, she goes in Friday afternoon. She's not going to be alone as my Mum's Border Collie will be in the same kennel as her and they love each other. I'm just worried. Really worried about leaving her with strangers for a week. Worried that she'll think that I've abandoned her.. Maybe it's just me being paranoid.. I have issues of my own and my dog is my one stable thing, the one thing that keeps me going, I need her. I paid extra so that she's in the 'luxury kennel' for my own peace of mind more than anything.

So what I really wanted was to hear was your positive experiences with boarding your dog/s. Did they enjoy it? Did they come back to you looking as happy as they did when they went in? Ect. Ect.

Thanks so much!

Kimberley, Mama to:

Cherry (Tristorm Cola). Born 24th December 2006!

Visit Cherry at Dogster!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logan (Pinchmill Carmichael). 3rd May 1997 - 25th January 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Boarding Kennels?

Hopefully she will. Maybe the Kennels in England are better then in Massachusetts.
When we went to the Bahmas for my sisters wedding we put Brady and Missy in a kennel for a week (1st time Brady was away from me for more than a day.
I was not happy at all his lips were chapped and red. He had a reaction to cleaning products they used (big sore on his testicles)
and Brady would Not look at me for 2 days. I basically cried for 2 days straight. Next time we go away either they come or I get a cerified bonded pet sitter to stay at the house.

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:14 PM

I've boarded my dogs when I've been away and luckily have always had a positive experience. I checked out the facility before bringing them the first time, toured the kennels, made sure they were clean and met the people working there from the kids doing the "grunt" work to the groomer, etc. I also got recommendations from others who had taken their dogs there and were happy.

I was a wreck the first time I took Rascal there, sure that he would never forgive me as he was a complete mama's boy. He did fine, was happy to see me and ecstatic to get back home! I probably boarded him about 8-10 times in his life and he never showed any anxiety when he went back so I took that as a sign that he didn't mind it too much.

As long as you checked out the facility (which I'm sure you did) I'm sure Cherry will do fine!

By the way, I always bring my own food, treats and toys for my dogs so there is no change in their diet and they have some familiar items with them. Not sure if having their own toys help but it makes me feel better!

Have a great vacation and try not to worry too much, I'm sure Cherry will do great.

SAM123
Roxie Female GSD 7/1/06
Falken Male GSD 4/19/08

Rascal RIP 8/1/02 - 5/1/08 gone but never forgotten

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

I did everything Sam123 did
I personally think My dogs hated it becuse they went from 2+ acres to a box and it wasn't fair to them.
I am sure your dog will be fine

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

If you have not, I would go, take your dog, and meet the kennel attendant beforehand.
Reception or management can promise all types of things, but the one taking care of your dog is the one you need to meet.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

I've boarded Dante a number of times in our 4 years

It's always been just fine

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Master Member

My Marley is going to be boarded starting this Sunday for a full week. I checked out the Kennels and also got recommendations from people who had used them before. The kennel provides the food and they purchase whatever you let them know your dog is eating. I am taking a blanket that she and I use to sleep with and a couple of her favorite toys. My mom's dog will be in the kennel next to her so hopefully she will feel like she has her friend with her.

I am a wreck about this too so I definitely know what you are going through. Marley and I are together 24/7 so I am so worried that she is going to think I abandoned her!!

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Crowned Member

Finding the right boarding kennel is hard to do, but once you've found one you're happy with, Cherry should be fine, especially since she'll be staying with your mom's BC.

To help relieve your concerns, maybe you can call every day to make sure Cherry and your mom's dog are okay. The kennels I've used don't mind me calling them daily during their business hours so I can ensure that all is well and the Hooligans are doing okay.

I don't know how your kennel is set up, but I've always paid extra so the Hooligans can have extended personal play time and/or walks with the owners or staff.

I also take their food to the kennel with preparation instructions. Most kennels don't mind preparing meals to your dog's specification.

I hope you have a fantastic time, Cornwall has always sounded like a great spot to vacation.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the replies! You've made me feel a little less stressed about it. I keep telling myself that plenty of people board their dogs and have pleasant experiences. I'm just gonna miss her and have to deal with it, that's all. I think I will call to check up on her. It'll make me feel better

I did look around at lots of kennels and this seemed to be the best. It's set on 100 acres of land and even has a hydrotherapy pool. I didn't make an appointment, I just turned up to look around and it was all very clean. I paid extra for the luxury kennel, which is bigger and is all indoors and it has an outside run.
I feed mostly raw tripe which they said they provide, but I think I'll bring some kibble that she likes as well. She's allowed a blanket and a couple of toys and gets a run in a pasture once a day.

I've met the people who will be looking after her and the owner also lives on the premises, so there's always someone around.

She goes in at 2pm tomorrow afternoon to get settled..

Wish me luck!

Kimberley, Mama to:

Cherry (Tristorm Cola). Born 24th December 2006!

Visit Cherry at Dogster!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logan (Pinchmill Carmichael). 3rd May 1997 - 25th January 2007
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Oh sounds like a nice kennel. When we board our dogs stay in a very nice keenel. They have thier own rooms, get play time daily and go for 2 walks a day. When we went to Cancun, Mexico a few years ago we took our adult son with us and dropped the dogs on the way to the airport. My son said the darn kennel was nicer than some motels.

Only the best for our "kids".

Bring her favorite toy and blanky and you may want to include a shirt you wore and had not washed yet. Your scent will bo on it and that will help settle her too. She will be fine.

I hope you have a good time on vacation.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page