Grooming Long Coat Ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Grooming Long Coat Ears

How do you keep mats from forming on long coated dogs' ears? I am not sure if this is a result from ear meds in the past or is this just part of what one has to deal with on a regular basis.

To remove them out looks like a formidable task. Do I try and detangle them or cut them out? Either way the dog is going to hurt because that is such a sensitive area.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Master Member

Re: Grooming Long Coat Ears

They only way to keep the matts under control is to brush them daily. I use a comb to help out here with my little girl and she doesnt seem to mind having the area combed. If there are severe matting I would suggest clipping them out before brushing/combing the area.

Tina

Tina and Dave - Volunteers for Precious Paws Rescue - Barrie Ontario
Approved foster
Proud Owners of:
Beni gsd Dec 31, 2000 - Sept 5, 2009
Lia gsd & Mas Survivor
Render July 9/91 - Mar 31/2001
Autumn Jan 1979 - Oct 1990 (Sheltie)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

I use a real fine tooth comb. My male gets knots when I am treating his ears, I believe it is from the meds draining and him itching. Some mats I cut out and others it the aren't really bad, try to get some water with cream rinse mixed in, wet and basically massage the knot, then use just a couple of teeth on the comb to pick apart the knot.

I am tempted next time I have to treat his ears to cut the hair behind and under his ears.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I use the same undercoat rake I use everywhere else, and it works fine. If there are persistent little tangles, I'll sometimes just cut them out.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

I use a Mat Breaker. It is very easy and quick to use and does not hurt, it doesn't tug at the hair. I use it on my Aussies, my cats, and used it on my Newfy too.

http://grooming.petedge.com/Matbreaker-D...bCategoryId=480
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Elite Member

Ozzy gets about one mat per year despite diligent brushing. I just cut it out.

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 PM

ironic, i just sat in the bathroom for 30 minutes last night working on my boys ears. i'm pretty good about grooming him, but probably not the most efficient in getting to all areas. he hates his ears and tail done. anyway - i had to just suck it up and clip the mats behind his ears. one side was pretty bad and pretty close to the skin, so lesson learned - i now have to stay up on special ear attention.

i'll likely pick up a mat breaker (nice to see its only 10 bucks) between tilden and my cats butt - i'll need it.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Camerafodder
i'll likely pick up a mat breaker (nice to see its only 10 bucks) between tilden and my cats butt - i'll need it.
I have a long haired cat too. Same problem. I'll have to look into purchasing one of those tools.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Master Member

Be VERY careful cutting mats out. I've seen many cases of owners leaving holes in their dogs and cats by using scissors to remove mats.

If you can't hold your fingers between the mat and skin, you'll have to use clippers. Luckily, if you hold the untangled hair out of the way when you clip, it will usually fall over the bald spot and you can't really even see it.

Sometimes they can be picked out, but clipping them is the safest way to go. To prevent them, use a fine toothed comb and make sure you get down to the skin the entire time you're combing.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 01:16 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrennasMomBe VERY careful cutting mats out. I've seen many cases of owners leaving holes in their dogs and cats by using scissors to remove mats.

If you can't hold your fingers between the mat and skin, you'll have to use clippers.
Yeah, one of my cats doesn't do a great job of grooming herself, and she's so squirmy that *I* have a hard time grooming her too, so she often has mats, usually on her belly or in her pits. If they're too close to the skin I wait until the hair grows out long enough that I can pinch enough hair between the skin and the mat that I can safely cut it out. It's especially hard with cats because they have such loose, thin skin.

She would totally freak out if I tried to use clippers on her, but they will do it at the vet's if she has any mats when I take her in for something else. Takes several people though!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page