Buying Prescription Meds Online - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Buying Prescription Meds Online

Judy takes Proin for incontinence and is going to start on Soloxine for Hypo Thyroid. I have been paying around $22 for a bottle of 60 Proin and the vet said the Soloxine would be $22.75 for 60 pills, but once we figure out the right dose she can order a larger bottle at a discount.

I looked on line to see if I could get this any cheaper and was amazed to find the Proin is only $8 for 60 25 mg or $12 for 60 50mg (I can't remember Judy's dose). Either way I have been paying double the price for about a year. Then I looked up the Soloxine and it is only $5.40. FOUR times less than what the vet wanted to charge me.

When I told the vet that I wanted to order them online she said that several of her clients had problems with medication that were ordered on line and she did not recommend this. Specifically meds ordered from Pet meds and similiar websites. The prices listed above are from Dr. Foster and Smith, which I would think would be pretty safe.

I like this vet, but I have always thought her prices were a little high. She has always been great with my dogs and is only a mile from house so I have continued to go there. I don't think she is just trying to get more money from me, but I can't believe that the prices really are this different for the same product.

So my question is how many of you order your meds online and which websites do you recommend ordering from or not ordering from? Has anyone had any bad experiences with ordering medications online?

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Buying Prescription Meds Online

I have never gotten anything but 3V caps from 1 800 petmeds.
much cheaper than vet. I was going to get heartworm but the vet wanted to charge me 10 for a prescription and that didn't justify it.

I think personally the vets try to discourage you from getting the meds online cause they lose money. But it is all in who/what you trust

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

I know that most doggie scripts can be filled at a regular pharmacy for less than the vet. I told my sister what I was paying one time for Rocky meds and she said her pharmacy could of filled it for a significant savings. Vets really mark up their meds, or their cost is higher because they dont purchase large quantities. Have you considered checking a regular pharmacy?

I have heard stories about problems with Pet Meds from other countries. I just inquired the same thing for my DH's medication. We are just going to pay more so I know it is what it shoud be.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

I will order Rx meds from Dr. Fosters and Smith (waiting for Nina's Baytril as I type this) or KV Vet Supply. I think they both have built a reputation on quality as well as price and I feel comfortable with both companies-as comfortable as I am capable of feeling!

I order non prescription things like Synovi from places like petstruly or entirelypets, or places where I can get bulk but that SEEM like they aren't getting it from some kind of back alley deal.

My vet office charges to write a Rx but even with that, the Baytril was WAY cheaper, as is the Tramadol I get from my pharmacy (360 pills I think for 12 bucks)! Check Walmart, Wegmans if you have them, Target to see if any of your pets' meds are on the cheap list.

My vet is also cautious about some places-I still buy my Interceptor there even though its cheaper at KV Vet, but Novartis guarantees it or something if bought at the vet office-they will pay for reaction related illnesses (I THINK-am I making this up?) and has said that people lots of times buy things at cheaper online places, or at tractor supply type places and end up coming to them with a very sick pet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I completely forgot about checking the local pharmacy. I have a friend that was a doctor and he would do this all the time for his pet meds. Ok I feel like an idiot now.

Does anyone know if Proin is only used for animals or if it is also a human medication?

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

I've had very good experiences getting prescriptions filled online from ENTIRELY PETS, KV VET, PHARMNET, ALLIVET to name a few. Each time I order, I have to check to see who has the best prices.
http://www.entirelypets.com/?gclid=C...FQWxsgodxyUGUQ
http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/assets/ht...asp?URLCheck=1
http://www.pharmnet.com/index.htm
http://www.allivet.com/COMFORTIS-p/28811.htm

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Crowned Member

I've purchased prescription meds from Entirely Pets and never had an issue. We also just found that the vet was marking up the meds for my BF's GSD about 5 times what it would cost on the web and will be going back to Entirely Pets for that script.

Nina

Mom to Ginger, Belle & April (cats)
Never forgetting -
Cody (GSD) 1993 - 8/21/05
Sheba (GSD) 6/97 - 8/3/09
Lyla (Maine Coon) 1994? - 4/3/07
Tonic (LBC) 1998? - 5/19/07
Chloe (Tuxedo) 1997? - 10/11/08 Forever in my heart.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure but you might be able to find the info on Web Md.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Knighted Member

I regularly order the puppers prescription meds from KV Pet. I've been doing this years and have never had a problem.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 AM

I know you said that your vet is close by and all but you might want to consider switching vets because some vets will price match medicines found online. My vet does this because they want to make sure people are getting the right medicine. Worth checking out, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page