Fish Oil Alternatives (or? dandruff/itchy dog!) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Fish Oil Alternatives (or? dandruff/itchy dog!)

Puppy is itchy itchy itchy and has got some really dry skin and dandruff.

I'm somewhat convinced its due to a combination of air conditioning and grass allergy and something else. I'm pretty sure its not fleas because a)no visible bites or flea dirt, she's always been on a treatment *and* was recently checked at the vet and b)I'm the kind of person bugs will fly a mile to bite, and I'm bite-free.

She was showing some grass allergy symptoms earlier this summer.

Puppy has sibo, and I think some general food sensitivities. She eats Nature's Variety raw, which has vitamin e, flax seed, fish oil, etc. Its 6-8% fat, which seemed like a lot to me - but still, dry skin, itchy. She just finished a course of rimadyl, and someone told me that could cause itchiness in some dogs, too.

Baths are currently not an option due to a leg injury, and DH is wildly, projectile vomiting allergic to fish. Even the mild smell of fish gets this reaction - . So we'd like to avoid fish products as well as kelps and seaweeds.

Any ideas? Tips? Thanks as always for your help! B

In love with my first and now second! gsds.
(still Puppy, even tho she's not really puppy-aged anymore, and Kilo, who *is* puppy-aged.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Fish Oil Alternatives (or? dandruff/itchy dog!)

There is a great thread on coconut oil:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=0&fpart=1

(although, I have not used it, I just remember getting some good info on it from the thread; and it is something I might consider in the future)

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Olive oil can be good as well. FYI, some dogs do have problems with flax seed which I noticed is in the food you are feeding.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I would get her off the food asap, as the flax seed could cause her to itch. My girl is very sensitive to flaxseed oil and even one dose makes her itch all over!

No need to feed fish- it's much better to put her on a high quality fish oil -like Carlson brand or similar. I would give her several grams (like 9-10 capsules a 1000mg) a day for a couple wks until the itching hopefully improves. Fish capsules don't smell at all, so hubby should survive.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

I ditto the advice to change foods. Flax can be a common allergen.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Oh heavens. It is the only food (and boy, have we tried...) that doesn't give her terrible stomach upset.

I thought about the fish oil tablets, but (so embarrassing...) my SIL takes them, and *swears* they don't smell. But they do. We notice. Did I mention DH's projectile vomiting?

Edit: What about just plain old olive oil? Would that work? We usually have gallons of it around.

Thanks again, gang. As usual, more stuff to look into! Thank you!

In love with my first and now second! gsds.
(still Puppy, even tho she's not really puppy-aged anymore, and Kilo, who *is* puppy-aged.)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Knighted Member

Olive Oil is ok. Maybe it would be worth while to have allergy testing done. At least you would know if the flax is the problem.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:15 PM

Re: Fish Oil Alternatives (or? dandruff/itchy dog!

I've heard of using raw eggs to help with dry skin. They are normally given two to three times a week. I do not know much about SIBO, and I'm unsure if the eggs would be an issue or not. I use fish oil, so I do not have experience with raw eggs being used for dry skin. I have fed them as a treat.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

Do you mean the person smells after fish when she took the capsule??
If you ment the capsule smells, then I would doubt the quality of the product- bc there is absolutely no smell with high quality capsules (I have a very sensitive nose too).

Did you try Natural Balance duck & potatoe or similar allergy foods?

Olive oil doesn't has the same anti-inflammatory properties as fish oil has, but neither oil won't be any good in helping, unless you switch the food (should the flax be the culprit). I also would rather give hemp oil or borage oil before using olive oil.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Fish Oil Alternatives (or? dandruff/itchy dog!

If this were not a puppy, I would say to add a multivitamin for the dandruff, since it seems there is enough fat.

My girl (spayed at 8 weeks) has always required fresh ground flaxseed and a multivitamin, or she will get dandruff. I think the flax provides some natural estrogens. Fish oil makes her limp, and digestively she can't tolerate any oils.

The itchy part makes me wonder if it isn't a food sensitivity.

You might try some organic spirulina powder for the GLA, similar to what borage oil contains.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page