Pet Insurance - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to GSDLover_Forever Send a message via Yahoo to GSDLover_Forever
Pet Insurance

Anyone use Pet Insurance? How much is it? Who do you use? What kind of plan do you have? What does it cover? Is it worth it? I'm looking into VPI, PetCare, and Embrace. Thanks!!!

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section!!!

Owned By:
Zeus: 4 y.o GSD
Buffy 15 y.o GSD Mix
Scooter 7 y.o Spaniel/Lab Mix
Ragdoll Cat, White/Tan DLH Cat, Orange/White DLH Cat
Three Mini Rex Rabbits
Three Hermit Crabs
One Hamster
Two Sea-Monkey Tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Re: Pet Insurance

We took out the ASPCA illness/accident insurance on the girls back in November. It's reasonable, $19 a month (each). I just placed my first claim last week (Maggie has a dermatitis) and they will pay 80% after $100 deductible per occurance. They do not cover anything that is congenital or pre-existing. I believe there is a $1500 limit per occurance. I'll let you know how their claim service goes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to GSDLover_Forever Send a message via Yahoo to GSDLover_Forever

GSDMom, thanks for the info! Yes, please do!!!

Owned By:
Zeus: 4 y.o GSD
Buffy 15 y.o GSD Mix
Scooter 7 y.o Spaniel/Lab Mix
Ragdoll Cat, White/Tan DLH Cat, Orange/White DLH Cat
Three Mini Rex Rabbits
Three Hermit Crabs
One Hamster
Two Sea-Monkey Tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Master Member

I would like to know also how it works. Please do keep us up to date.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSD MomWe took out the ASPCA illness/accident insurance on the girls back in November. It's reasonable, $19 a month (each). I just placed my first claim last week (Maggie has a dermatitis) and they will pay 80% after $100 deductible per occurance. They do not cover anything that is congenital or pre-existing. I believe there is a $1500 limit per occurance. I'll let you know how their claim service goes.
Did you ever get any results?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

I have VPI on Camper. IMO, it's rather awful. They found some bizarre exclusions to deny coverage for the small claim I presented. I mean, really bizarre. (They denied antibiotics under the "parasites" exclusion. Since when are bacteria parasites?)

So, I'm not thrilled with them, and would not recommend them.

My vet mentioned Trupanion for my puppy (you have to sign up before their first birthday), says that they pay claims at a higher rate, faster and with none of the breed-specific exclusions that the other insurers have. I've looked at the policy and I'm pretty impressed. http://www.Trupanion.com Your pups look a little old for it, but for anyone else with a young puppy, it's worth considering. And, there's an extra where if you get a veterinary exam voucher from your vet (in other words, your vet examines your dog and says the dog is in good shape), the 30-day waiting period is waived and there's a 6% reduction in premium.

Overall, mostly, I'm a fan of stick the money (a lot of money) into a CD and save it for a rainy day. And pray the rainy day never comes. (Although, with my kids, it comes. And it's a torrential downpour! )
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Unfortunately we don't have insurance for Heidi...not that I didn't try Maybe this site will help a little.

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/index.asp

Michaela

P.S.: I had never heard of Trupanion and it looks pretty good, thanks for posting!

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: GSD MomWe took out the ASPCA illness/accident insurance on the girls back in November. It's reasonable, $19 a month (each). I just placed my first claim last week (Maggie has a dermatitis) and they will pay 80% after $100 deductible per occurance. They do not cover anything that is congenital or pre-existing. I believe there is a $1500 limit per occurance. I'll let you know how their claim service goes.

Did you ever get any results?

Well it's been about 2 weeks...the brochure said we would receive our payment within 2 weeks so I called them this morning. We were advised that they were a couple weeks behind so it would probably be a couple more weeks. He told us to look at our certificate (that we received after we purchased the policy) and the certificate states that reimbursement would be within 30 days. So looks like this may drag on....I'm actually online looking at another plan, (before Daize has any claims!) This is gopetplan.com that claims to cover them for illness/accident for a lifetime unlike ASPCA that has a $1500 limit per incident...sooo, long story short, I'm not very pleased with ASPCA....would consider looking elsewhere...good luck!!! (oh, also, they do not cover problems associated with hip dysplasia!!)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MichaelaUnfortunately we don't have insurance for Heidi...not that I didn't try Maybe this site will help a little.

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/index.asp

Michaela

P.S.: I had never heard of Trupanion and it looks pretty good, thanks for posting!
That's an awesome website....very informative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page