Natural calming remedies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Natural calming remedies

With the 4th coming up, I wondered if any of you know of, or have used any "natural" calming remedies for your dogs?

I asked my vet about this and he said the problem with the "natural" stuff is that it usually doesn't work. He suggested that I try giving Gunner some Benedryl (50mg, no more than every 8 hours.) He said the only other thing he could prescribe for him is... and bear with me, because I can't read his writing... acepromazine??? Or something like that. As I said, I can't read his writing. He OK'd it and made a note of it for me so that I could just call it in if I found the Benedryl wasn't working. But he said that it's pretty "heavy-duty" and he would definitely try the Benedryl first.

Does anyone have experience with any of this? I really hate like **** to give him anything but the drunken yuppies in this neighborhood will be setting off firecrackers all weekend long. And my poor Gunner just loses his mind. We try to close the house up and turn the TV up as loud as we can stand it. Unfortunately that doesn't work. He still hears them and it upsets him so badly that he makes himself sick. I'm starting to think that giving him something would be better for him than letting him get that stressed-out.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Natural calming remedies

poor baby
I hate giving B-boy anything either.
tell the drunken yuppies to go else where
Gunner comes first

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Oh, it gets old around here. And they space it out so the police can't catch them. I'll just get Gunner calmed down and then another idiot blows off an M80. This will be going on at 2:00 in the morning.
The police either can't or won't do anything about it. It got so bad last year that we actually called and asked them to send a car out here. They said they'd try, but that they were getting so many calls, they couldn't keep up. We never did see a car.
Mom's planning to call the chief of police this week and ask him what they're planning to do this year.

But since I'm not holding out much hope that they'll do anything, I better have a Plan B for my poor guy.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

That really sucks
I feel for you luckily there is all old people living around us
we usually have a/c going and 3 high powered fans and 2 TVs
so it should help us.

I know Benedryl knocks me out hopefully it will help Gunner

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer

proudly owned by:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
dd
Crowned Member

This does not work for every dog, but try putting a T shirt on him. It may help and calm him down.

dd

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

T-shirt really what does that do??

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer

proudly owned by:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
dd
Crowned Member

It is a T-touch technique - it makes the dog feel more secure. You put the T shirt on backwards to the way a human would wear it, with the T-shirt front on the dog's back, and tie the loose hanging hem snugly in a knot on the dog's side. This has worked for dogs in my family - it reduces nervousness and panting. If you do an ear massage at the same time, it is more effective.

Some company is actually marketing a product they call a 'comfort wrap" or something like that, but an old T-shirt in a size comfortable for your dog will work equally well.

dd

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

Ace is a tranquilizer: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_acepromazine.html

Anxiety Wrap - may help alleviate anxiety in dogs: http://www.anxietywrap.com/anxietywrap.htm

You can mimic the effects using a tight t-shirt or other clothing.

Amromatherapy: Lavender, Juniper, Chamomile, Bergamot, Frankincense or Sweet Orange can help releive stress and anxiety

Get your dog good and tired before all the noise starts.

Feed them a high carb meal (after the rest from the exercising). Carbs can help make them feel full and sleepy.

Give them someplace to 'hide'. Put a crate in the most sound-resistant location in the house and drape a blanket over it. Dogs naturally like dark places to hide.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ah, thank you for the links!

I'm really not comfortable with giving him a tranquilizer. I've never used one before and not knowing how it might affect him just scares me too much. I'd rather not take the chance.
I don't like how they say that it can cause some dogs to act aggressively. Gunner doesn't normally have an aggressive bone in his body, but the fireworks don't scare him - they make him mad. He runs through the house, going from window to window with his fur up, barking his head off and acting like he wants to kill whatever is making that noise. If aggression can be one of the side effects of that tranquilizer and he already reacts aggressively to fireworks, I'm afraid it could compound the problem and make it worse.

A T-shirt. Wow. LOL. I was actually waiting for the punchline - I thought you were messing with me, there. I'd never heard of that! But what the heck? I'll give it a shot! It certainly can't hurt him. The worst thing it can do is nothing. (I'm much more comfortable with that type of remedy.)

I already have lavender and bergamot oils on hand. I have one of those tea-light diffusers and burn them all the time. lol. I've never noticed that they calm the boys down, but then again... I've never really thought to pay attention to that, so maybe they do. I'll try it.

And yes, we were planning to wear him out (as much as we ever can) before dark.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM
dd
Crowned Member

Info on T-Touch wraps:
http://www.heartseasettouch.com/article8wrap.htm

dd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page