Big problem after bathing... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Big problem after bathing...

Hello everyone!
I'm new here and am looking for help. I have two GSD, Taco (3), my oldest and Buddy(2), my youngest (both boys). After every wash Taco tries to mount Buddy. He doesn't do it any other time, only after they are washed. We keep them apart after they are washed, but as time goes on we have to keep them apart longer and longer. When Taco tries to mount Buddy, Buddy gets MAD and growls at him and Taco growls back and then they begin to fight viciously! (we think it an alpha male thing between the two)My husband and I have changed shampoos everytime we wash them,but it doesn't seem to work. Both have not been fixed, my husband didn't want to. I'm sooo frustrated I don't know what to do.....No one seems to know what is causing it or how to fix it. One theory is that washing them changes their smell (obviously), so that's why Taco does what he does. Has anyone had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Big problem after bathing...

Why doesn't he want to fix them?

~Melinda
Halle, 7 yr GSD (dob 7/12/2002)
Serena, 9yr GSD (dob 2000, gotcha day 6/14/2003)
Remington, 9yr old, (dob 09/2000, Gotcha day Christmas 2005.)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

It's a guy think I guess......he doesn't want to "take away their manhood".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 317537It's a guy think I guess......he doesn't want to "take away their manhood".
you mean "doghood"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

oh, haha, that's hilarious! I never even thought of that! I guess my husband was thinking of himself! doghood! I'm sooo telling him that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to javaluuver

tell yer dh that the boys wont miss their balls - the vet doesn't want HIS, just the dogs - he needs to get over it, otherwise you are going to have some serious problems with two unneutered male (dogs) in the house ... my BIL gave me the same sad excuse, i told him to grow up and be a man and get over it - that has to be THE most ignorant reason not to neuter a dog ..

<span style="color: purple">~*Jo*!~</span>
Owned and loved by Zeke n' Obi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style="color: blue">Yes I work at a Vets .. but that doesn't mean I *am* a vet!</span>
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I completely agree! My only concern now is that it may be too late. I've heard, correct me if i'm wrong, that if you neuter your dog after a period of time it changes their personality.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

At this age, it will change nothing but the ability to procreate. It may take the edge off some behaviors, but it certainly doesn't hurt. "Losing the boys" is not a real reason to keep a dog intact. They won't care. Most of them don't even know that their butts are actually part of their bodies. Heck, my dog investigates his rear when he farts, wondering what in the world just happened! So no, they won't miss their ballsies. They don't gather around the big screen at game time, beer in paws, scratching themselves and grunting.

They probably WILL continue to mount after desexing- this behavior can be controlled by the humans in the household. Train them, teach them, discipline them, distract them, and in general control the situation! You're in charge, you pay the bills, you dole out the food, you decide their access rights, you can step in and separate the mounting (which is likely a dominance behavior). Pooches benefit from rules, guidelines, and discipline, just like kids! You ESPECIALLY want to do this if it escalates to a fight. Best thing to do would be to neuter them both to remove excessive testosterone from the equation, then get crates for each dog. Bathe one, crate that dog, then bathe the other, then crate him as well. Take them out on their own leashes once both are finished and involve them in a controlled exercise like a disciplined walk or group training.

How is your daily routine with them otherwise? This bathtime rumble is likely a symptom of a bigger problem.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page