Bathing too Frequently - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Bathing too Frequently

I keep saying this but I am a new German Sheperd owner and have never raised a pup. I heard that its not good to bathe german sheperds more then 2-3 times per year, is that true??? If so then what do you do to keep them smelling better????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Bathing too Frequently

Molly is going to be 4 this year and I think she has only had 3 or 4 baths her entire life. I really only bathe her when she rolls in something stinky out in the yard.

She isn't really stinky otherwise so we don't really have a normal grooming routine. The only thing I do is brush her about once week to get the dead undercoat off of her.

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Why isn't she stinky, is there something wrong with my pup that makes him stink????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Master Member

I only bath Shane once every few months, that only cause he manages to find something dirty to get into! Shane doesn't really smell bad...if anything, he smells like Frito's...which I don't mind! GS don't need to be wash all the time, but do you have to brush them!

We are loved beyond our capacity to comprehend ~Jewel

Stewie, Orange Tabby, yrs old
Shane, GSD, 20 months
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM

i was just thinking about this the other day -- i used to bathe my dogs about once a month and never had any problems with a dull coat or dry skin (used natural shampoo with oatmeal, tea tree oil, etc...). i was looking thru my calendar and realized that they've now not had a bath in 6 months and they're still just as shiny and virtually odor free. thinking back over the last 6 months i have improved their diet & grooming habits, so at this point i'd have to equate it to those things. they're both on a canidae+wellness blend, and also eating raw about 3-4 days per week (which includes hole raw eggs and flaxseed oil). i could lie and say i brush them daily... but really its just a couple times a week.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Knighted Member

I have also heard that diet can play a big role on how our dog's smell. Molly has pretty much been eating premium dog food her whole life and I've never noticed any unusual smells to her. She doesn't have "doggie breath" either. She does chew her nylabones every day and that helps keep her teeth clean, but she also enjoys a good marrow bone every once in a while. The vet even asked me if I brushed her teeth and we don't I also make sure to wash her blankets often because I have noticed that those get a little smelly from time to time.

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

So I think as I am reading a lot of information today, I need to get him on a better diet, I have to be honest, he eats junk. I don't want to tell you the kind of dog food I feed him, I might get kicked off the board for cruelty, but my hint is I get it at the grocery store. I am rookie so don't think I am being mean on purpose but my other dogs were fine on Grocery store food and I really can't afford alot of pet store food. Any suggestions???
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Canidae i've found is the most reasonably priced high quality food. Also, if you look at it in terms the the amount of food you feed - you actually arent paying too much more. Grocery store brands use alot of fillers which requires your dog to have to eat more in order to meet its dietary and nutritional needs. high quality diets generally require only half the amount if you compare the suggested feedings.

I'm not sure what part of Ca you're in, but at Ralphs grocery store - the only decent food I've found is the Lassie/Natural Way brand.

Costco/Kirkland also has good quality food for a great price.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Elite Member

I bath my pup when needed, which is when she gets dirty.

So if she gets dirty say two weeks after her last bath, I will bath her. If she manages stay relatively clean for months on end, then heck, I won't bother with a bath.

Her coat is in excellent condition, and does not have any odor.

I do groom her coat daily.

Her littermate however, has not been bathed ever. But he tends to just hang out within their large, enclosed property, so he doesn't really get too filthy.

The puppies are now 8 months.

This is how I deal with baths. I know owners who oppose to frequent baths, but to me, that is all relative and totally dependent on necessity.

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM

When you feed the premium foods the dogs don`t eat as much so they sometimes only work out to be marginally more money to feed than the grocery store brands. Another bonus is less poop to pick up and fewer trips to the vets for health issues. I feed Orijen {not for growing pups. Too much protein}, and Honest Kitchen with some fresh meat mixed in but these foods are very pricey. I think Innova is more reasonably priced as is Blue Buffalo , **** Van Pattens food, and Wellness. I am sure others have done some cost comparisons to help you choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page