Sunburns? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sunburns?

While checking the weather channel online, I saw something that said dogs can get sunburned too and to apply sunblock on the tips of the ears, lips and nose. I've never heard of doing that and never did that with any of our previous furry friends.

Does anyone use sunscreen on their dogs? If so, is there a particular kind to use? Has anyone ever had their dog get sunburnt?

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: Sunburns?

my jrt mix I have seen get sunburn on the white parts of her face and the skin is pink underneath just like mine is when I get burnt She LOVES to sunbathe, so I just try to limit that. I have looked into a sunscreen, but I really don't see the need for dogs that have dark pigment on their faces and bodies and thick fur like my gsd. I doubt it would hurt anything...not so sure how much it would help? Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

I've heard of dogs who were clipped getting a sunburn, but never one with hair. I hadn't heard about using sunscreen either until I saw something on the local news about it. I guess I'll use it if any of the Hooligans gets burned, but in the meantime I won't. What's that old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

I was just reading about sun exposure and certain types of skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma) in dogs.

I was concerned because my 11 year old has a growth on her side that is getting taken off on Tuesday. I got her when she was 8 and I think she was in an outdoor kennel for the first 7-8 years of her life. That is the type of exposure that is worrisome for the skin cancers from what I am reading.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=0&SourceID=69

They do make dog sunscreen, but my dogs would rather be inside when it's really hot/sunny!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Knighted Member

I use sunscreen on Sasha because as you can see below she has white patches on her nose and chest which can get red and burnt. I use the same sunscreen on her as we use, No Ad 30. I only use it on her white spots when we go to the beach and I don't use any on Penny as she is all black.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page